BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimension prefix and suffix

Anonymous
Not applicable
with regards to the dimension text, I would like to see an option to add text before and/or after the measured value. (i.e. typ., verify, +/-, .... etc.) For me this would eliminate almost every instance where I need to use custom text. This has come up in a few other dimensioning wishes, but I did not see it as wish on it's own.
15 REPLIES 15
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Scott wrote:
This has come up in a few other dimensioning wishes, but I did not see it a wish on it's own.
...so I vote "Essential" (again)...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also vote essential. This is very important for getting rid of the loose bits of text for "VIF" etc.

In a somewhat related vein, I would also like a separate pen setting for static/custom dimensions. My clients and I do this manually now and it sure would be nice to be automatic.
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Matthew great idea on the different pen settings for static/custom dimensions. I have mentioned this before but a couple of years ago now but I would also like to have masking on dimension text. Maybe this is included in AC11 but I haven't seen it mentioned yet. I voted essential on the wish topic.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
In a somewhat related vein, I would also like a separate pen setting for static/custom dimensions.
I have actually experienced a big dispute on the site, when someone has forgotten to change a static dimension on the set-out plan - oh dear,dear...

normally I am using an italic typeface for static ones to distinguish the dimension status, however it's far from an ideal procedure.
I am not sure about different pens (as suggested) though as the text can look very same when printed B&W or just copied over.

In regards to the pre/post-fix I would welcome [CL - centerline] symbol, although it is a bit language specific. Definitely [COS] check-on-site prefix is almost everyday's bread and butter when documenting a project.
::rk
Barry Kelly
Back in the mid 90's we used to use a CAD program called Drafix (since bought out by Autodesk - surprise, surprise - now called Autosketch).
This allowed you to type <> in any custom dimension.
<> would translate to the actual dimension and would remain stretchy(active) as well so you never had to worry about it not updating.
You could add any text you wanted either before or after <> to show in your dimensions.
Still used by Autosketch today and I am sure other programs as well.
It couldn't be that hard to implement into Archicad surely.
Maybe <> is a trademark feature of Autodesk and can't be copied.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry

That's been there in Autocad for as long as I can remember too.

Even if there is a copyright issue, there must be a way around it for Graphisoft. Input boxes like below would be sufficient.

But even the Superscript option that currently exists changes the text to Custom. Crapola.

(where I have my suffix box there already exists a grey outline, but it doesn't seem to be useful for anything )
Stuart Atkinson
Participant
This is essential.
We currently add text underneath the dimension text for all of our room names.
I would much prefer to add it to the actual dimension string (where there is enough space), just like in Drafix/Autosketch (i was also once a Drafix user).
I would like the additional option of dropping the text below the dimension string when there is not enough space to have it next to the dimension text.

Cheers
Stu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stuart wrote:
I would like the additional option of dropping the text below the dimension string when there is not enough space to have it next to the dimension text.

Cheers
Stu
Good idea. I would do that too.

Cheers
s2
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Matthew wrote:
I would also like a separate pen setting for static/custom dimensions.
Essential.
Stuart wrote:
Essential.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Learn and get certified!