BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimension "standards" added to display options

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is essential that dimension "standards" be added to display options.
ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL.
We already have the capability to name different levels of precision, called dimension standards. Why can't they be linked to a display options? I know I'm not the first to wish this.
I don't know how all of you AC experts have details at one level of precision and your plans at another, but me, I have to MANUALLY!!! change my plan dimensions. Take a look at my plan dimensions. When I make a dimension manual I change its color to orange. HALF of the dimensions on my plan are manual!!!! That is completely unacceptable Graphisoft!!! Graphisoft, what method did you have in mind for us when we need a detail at one level of precision and the plan at another? Oh! You didn't think about it? Of course. I should have known that after 20+ years of designing a piece of software you can't figure this out on your own. I'm sorry. I suppose Graphisoft can't be expected to think of everything, especially the most common sense intricacies of Architecture, apparently.
You guys do have on staff Architects, right?

I make no apologies for my rudeness. When Graphisoft starts treating its customers with respect, designing a decent piece of software, I'll start being nice.
31 REPLIES 31
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Alex,
am I correct in assuming from your post that, unlike Matthew and myself, you envision having certain dimension strings change their standard depending on the view.

If so I think it first necessary to determine whether this would be common practice for many users. I rarely find that a dimension placed in one plan is right for another plan. Perhaps between Floor Plan and RCP or Enlarged Plan, in which case the same standard generally applies. But between Floor Plan and Site Plan I always want different strings anyway.

But this may be a case of my not wanting something because it's not available. So please descibe how you would impliment this in practice.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
Alex,
am I correct in assuming from your post that, unlike Matthew and myself, you envision having certain dimension strings change their standard depending on the view.
No, I don't think this would be a good idea. I'm with you now. However, the effect of my wish is that dimension strings WOULD change their standard depending on what view you use. I'm not really trying to contradict myself, even though I know I just did. Really I am envisioning it as a part of a quickview so when you open up a detail window all of the dimensions would have a particular dimension standard. Conceivably you could have a second quickview that would open up the same detail window with a different dimension standard. I agree that it's not necessary, but I think it would be easier to allow this to happen than to disallow it. I don't see how it could hurt, especially if you can give a dimension string an override that would take precedence over "global" dimension standards.
Learn and get certified!