Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimensions - Align & Distribute

Gerry Leonor
Advisor

maybe i'm doing it wrong, but I wish there was a way you could automatically align & distribute already placed dimensions.

screenshot below of what happens when i try to distribute the 804 dimension to be equidistant between 697 & 894. AC doesn't allow it.

Screenshot 2021-10-18 135752.png

FYI, these red dimensions are placed as 'static' dims to see if the alignment / distribute action affects static or linked dimensions. i tried it just then with linked dimensions -- it still doesn't work & the error pops up.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

Distribution of the dimension lines would be very nice indeed.

I am not really sure why it can't be done (there must be a reason though) as you can simply manually move any dimension line towards or away from what it is dimensioning without affecting any of the dimension settings or what it is associated to.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Rico
Booster

I don't know if I completely understood your question but it's possible to align/distribute dimension text. You just have to select the text box itself and not the dimension lines.

iMac 27" 5K • macOS 10.15.7 Catalina • 40GB RAM | ArchiCAD 24 5004 FRA
Ryzen Threadripper 3970X • Windows 10 • 64GB RAM | ArchiCAD 24 Solo UKI

As in distributing the dimension lines equi-distant from each other.

Barry.

BarryKelly_0-1634535449798.png

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

no, not the text boxes for the Dimensions, but the actual dimension themselves -- lines, text boxes & all.

can easily align the text boxes just fine -- text boxes for dimensions & labels. i do it all the time.

DGSketcher
Legend

I would add, having the ability to place the dimensions to a known offset distance at the creation phase would also help e.g. offset from the first anchor point. It's a small thing, but as implied by @Gerry Leonor, sometimes presentation matters and consistent placement (& distribution) helps readability.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

This would help so much.

Current workflow for me is to drag copies of existing dimension strings around and use CTRL to add new nodes and delete those from the copied string that I do not need. It's decently fast, but it would help speed things up more. For some types / phases of drawing the annotation is all the work.

This along with being able to copy dimension lines from one story to another where the same elements exist on multiple stories (walls, grid elements etc).

These seem like simple things to add to the ussual list of small, boring but significant features of new releases.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

agreed.

we're trying to teach people in the office that presentation does matter & consistency helps with that.

I really don't understand why people don't want to take pride in their work and make it look good either!

It takes about the same effort to put things evenly spaced out as it does to drop them at random.

Keep fighting the good fight 🙂

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5