BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimensions linking to objects

Djordje
Ace
Having spent the whole day today re-honking the elevation dimension chains after the Municipality decided that the whole building should fly half a meter up (yes, now they are going to bitch about the setbacks) I dearly wished that S/E level dims were REALLY associative.

As they are not.

If you dimension to objects, you have to redimension everything. Even if you copy a level dim chain from one S/E to another, it does not update when you change the elevation of the basic storey (0 in Int, 1 in US version).

The next topic deals wih this ...

*beeep* Municipality ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
I dearly wished that S/E level dims were REALLY associative.
Here is a stupid solution I use as a workaround to this lack of associativity : In section and elevation, I place hotspots on the left or right side of the drawing each placed @ characteristics points of the project (main level, etc), and then associate the dimensions to the hotspot : it's not very clever, but better than redimensionning everything with every single change.

Another tool I use is a bit more clever : I've created a label that can be associated to slabs, this way, the label display automatically the top and bottom level of the slab (and if you wish the composition and width of each "skin") : this way I don't need level dimension anymore, and the builder gets more information on each "component' of the building...
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Care to share that label tool, mate? Sounds neat.

Back to Djordje's original point, I don't think there's a one of us that wouldn't immediately realize the benefits from full associative dimensioning in S/E.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
Care to share that label tool, mate? Sounds neat.
Here it is, zipped as a PC library part... don't have time to create a multiplatform PLA (sorry).

When it's associated to a slab (first set this label as the std label for slab, then select a slab and check the "label this element" (±) to get the label displayed). Options are available to display different information (detail, sf, etc.).

Note : such a label works in plan in AC7 but also in section in AC8.

PS : only in french at the present time...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoffroy wrote:
I place hotspots on the left or right side of the drawing each placed @ characteristics points of the project (main level, etc) [...]
If I remember correctly, Revit had an efficient system where the main levels of the project can be displayed in any section / elevation, with the correct storey height and name as marker...

There are a lot of good things in this software... no wonder Autodesk bought it !
Gyuri Nyitrai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Added to ArchiCAD Wishlist
Learn and get certified!