Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimensions

Too Long
Enthusiast

Im hoping GS reads this as the new dimension editing technique offers no increase to efficiency.

When adding text to a dimension string AC26 requires additional steps compared to AC25.

Please remove this change and revert to the AC25 method.

Years of muscle memory wasted for what seems, nothing. 

AC26 AUS Full
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

Can you explain the method you are using?

Isn't it the same as in 25?

I am not seeing a difference.

Place the dimension.

Select the dimension text.

Change it to 'Custom Text' in the info box and then just type the text you want to add.

Or you can go into the text settings dialogue and do it there.

I see no difference.

Or am I missing something?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

The difference is when you change it in the Dimensions Text Settings dialogue.

Now youre required to selected  the Multi-line radial then place a cursor before you can begin typing.

Previously this wasnt required.

AC26 AUS Full

Ah I see.

The multi-line text is disabled in 26 until you activate it - so one extra click.

And of course once it is multi-line, there are no extra clicks.

You can save yourself from even opening the settings dialogue box at all, and just edit the text in the info box.

In both 25 & 26, you have to choose the multi-line option in the info box and then just type what you want - ENTER is next line.

Saves the one click or keyboard shortcut to open the settings dialogue.

I vaguely remember this being mentioned in Beta testing, but I can't recall if there was a reason for it.

It is the same for the level dimension tool as well.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend

It's another case of computer programmers lacking or ignoring real world guidance. GS could have adopted two other options...

1. Why do we even need to flag multi-line text? The text doesn't need two boxes, the default is always <measured value>, (which can be added back if it is deleted), but the editing should always go directly to multi-line text box.

2. Why not just handle the text like a Label and allow in place editing with a double click?

Considering Dimensions seem to have had a rebuild recently, it doesn't feel like much thought was put into user workflows or presentation quality. 🙄

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

It's never just "one extra click" though, is it?

It's:

• Overcoming the muscle memory
  • Manoeuvring the mouse to the appropriate radio button (this is that actual hard part, and it's non-trivial — using up valuable time / energy / mental focus)
  • Mouse click
  • Mouse click again (to activate cursor in text box — alternatively the TAB key also works)
  • Start typing

So it's up to 3 extra steps...that "one extra click" adds up to hundreds of extra steps per day.

I'm not surprised that OP is disappointed.

Even if it was as simple as "one extra click"...why should we tolerate the addition of pointless clicks? Where would it end? Archicad is already behind the curve in terms of usability.

AC23–26 3001 NZE | i511400F | 32GB | GTX1650