Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimention direction selectable after hammer click

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm really sad when I click with my hammer and dimension I would put on drawing disappear because I forgot to select the right dimension direction. I guess, that if the selected direction can't give me a dimension line, Archicad should ask with a pet palette what direction I want to use for my dimension line.
7 REPLIES 7
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
In the meantime, use the third (skew) geometry method and let the first two dimension points determine the direction of the dimension.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
In the meantime, use the third (skew) geometry method and let the first two dimension points determine the direction of the dimension.

Cheers,
Link.
Its not good!

Often we need to dimension some irregular points, so cannot get right orientation.
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
"Link" wrote:

This technique will still work most of the time if you use a wall that starts the dimension in the orientation that you want and then dimension to the irregular points that you want. The extra step required will be deleting the nodes that you don't want but it ends the frustration a little anyway.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
And don't forget that you can always rotate dimensions after they have been placed.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
And don't forget that you can always rotate dimensions after they have been placed.

Cheers,
Link.
The problem is that archicad often kills new dimension line when points
projected incorrectly.

I think the best solution for archicad is a dynamic rotation of dimension line during inserting. (rubber lines from outermost points) Exact orientation
can be achieved by archicad angle constrains system.

This feature is partially realised In Autocad.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sure some points may disappear but it's still not a big deal IMHO. That particular example is very simple - you can dimension them in any order you like, including dimensioning the middle points last. Then you can rotate the string to be horizontal, and if any points are missing, simply ctrl/cmd click them into the string.

Speaking of strings, maybe you need to cut your AutoCAD apron strings?

Jokes - juuuuust jokes.

Oh and don't forget you can use G to switch geometry methods for your dimension strings on the fly.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Sure some points may disappear but it's still not a big deal IMHO.

Cheers,
Link.
When i trying to make long dimension line of the plan with many windows and so on, and accidentally forgot to switch construction method, archicad doesn't create dimension line at all! Then i usually say AAARRGGCHHICAD! That is the problem. Why not to ask user not to DELETE whole chain but change construction method at this moment.

PS to programmers:
If (many points of new dimension line exactly the same)
then (ask user to change construction method, and continue
creating dimension chain.

I thing it may be good improvement.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!