Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Display options issue

Rick Thompson
Expert
I am not making a suggestion how best to solve this, but it's a pain (for me) to make use of the great and long waited fills for slabs. Those of us who re-use files over and over can run into an ugg experience adding a fill because the default display setting is bitmap and you then have to reset all you quickviews to reflect vector fills, which is my preference. I personally don't see the need for bitmap fills anymore. Most who use this program for a living will have good equipment and as I understand it, bitmap is "faster"... but I would much rather see how the drawing will print so I use vector and I don't see a slowdown anyway. But, with opening, maybe 10 different files a day, and wanting to add a nice easy visual touch you began to wish you didn't have to reset you quickviews.

Making it default to vector seems the most logical... but I am rarely accused of being logical... but it would save hundreds of unnecessary steps for my use.

GS, thanks for making 9 so nice to use
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
6 REPLIES 6
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hi Rick,
Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question/problem. I've been enjoying this new feature but have no problems with everything set to vector and staying that way. By any chance are your viewset display options settings not set to have construction fills set to vector?

Or is it just that given your atypical pratice it means resetting all your view sets to take advantage of this new feature?

Or___?

Erika
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Rick Thompson
Expert
It is a manner of having to redefine the quickviews after setting the cover fill display option to vector. If I don't redefine the quickviews then when I use a quickview, which I constantly do, it picks up the bitmap display since by default cover fills are set to bitmap. That's what seems an error as I doubt many people use bitmap as there choice for display options (maybe I am wrong?). In the context of a "current" job that would be a minor task, to say the least... but for my work it ends up being a lot to do... as an example... 500 regularly used files that I would like to set a porch to show decking (while I might have it open) x quickviews for floors 1, 2 and roof (might as well set them all while I am at it) x 2 versions of each (work and print) = 3000 quickviews to redefine that I would not need to if display options defaulted to vector rather than bitmap. I know this would not effect many users the way it effects me, but if most folks use vectors fills anyway, why have bitmap as a default for this new feature?

but thanks anyway Erika:)
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Erika Epstein
Booster
I agree, I haven't used bitmap settings in years.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hi Rick

I understand what you are saying about cover fills defaulting to Bitmap and I agree with you entirely on the usefulness of these fills. In fact even since ArchiCAD 4.55 I have never used bitmap fills - I just couldn't bring myself to do it. IMHO, if you need to resort to bitmap fills to increase speed, then it is time for a new computer!! I can't understand why anyone would choose to skimp on their hardware, when it is the main tool of their trade. It's kinda self-destructive! And as a wise ol' carpenter who converted to ArchiCAD once told me - it's not like you have to buy a new tool for every different task! We need very few tools, relative to other professions! Anyway....

Having said that, I think you are making this task much harder than it needs to be. There is no need to redefine all of your views. Just like layer combinations, these display options are 'mapped' to each view. So instead of redefining each view (which you don't have to do one by one anyway*), you can simply redefine the display options.

To do this go to Display Options and select the display option you would like to redefine from the drop down list at the top of the dialog. Next change your Cover Fills to 'Vectorial Hatching'. You will notice that the name of the view is now 'Custom' - ignore that and hit the Save As... button. In the next dialog simply retype the original name (you can usually just delete the word 'copy' *AND the preceding space*), and hit OK. A warning will appear telling you that a display option with that name already exists and would you like to replace it. Hit Replace. Do the same for any other Display Options and hit OK to confirm it all. Since those display options are mapped to the view, all of your views are now essentially 'redefined'.

* To redefine multiple views at once, open the View Editor, set the layer combinations, scale, display options, zooming 3D window settings in the left pane (& dimension settings if necessary), then select all the views in the right pane that you want to take on these settings, and hit the Redfine button at the top of the right pane, check the settings in the appearing dialog and hit Redefine. It's as easy as that - and it's important to note that this CANNOT be done by right clicking the views.

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
Link wrote:
Having said that, I think you are making this task much harder than it needs to be. There is no need to redefine all of your views. Just like layer combinations, these display options are 'mapped' to each view. So instead of redefining each view (which you don't have to do one by one anyway*), you can simply redefine the display options.
Exactly.

Ideally, you should never see the word "custom" associated with any view ... you should always see a named layer combo and a named display option set.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
Thanks very much for your suggestions. Since all my plans started before the custom display option (BD) and I didn't take the time to change that, they all come in as "custom"... so changing the name does not work for me. However, utilizing the view editor might help... that's a little easier.. I think. One good thing has come out of this... I had a dawn over marblehead, a real ah-ha, that I can make a list of quit a few "upgrade" task I need to do and put my unemployed 22 year old to work on the weekends:)))
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display