BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Display order enhancements

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to be able to see where in the 14 possible layers of graphical stacking order an element currently sits.

A drop down box in the settings dialog would both indicate what stack level it is on and allow you to manually set the level.

Also when you hover the mouse over the element, the tracker popup should display the stack level for quick reference and allow you to edit it manually too.

These would be less useful if ArchiCAD actually used a height based draworder system where an element that was higher in elevation than another correctly obscured the lower element. It seems odd that it isn't set this way already.

Perhaps the best way would be to disable the draworder adjustment for 3d elements in the above case, but still allow 2d elements to be adjusted in order to correctly use cover fills etc. In which case they should add a 'send above element' or 'send below element' option too, for a faster workflow.
11 REPLIES 11
OBERMEYER
Booster
We're five projects into Archicad and one year experience and just now learning how display order can be a serious annoyance. I'm surprised to see this message thread end in 2011. The issue still seems relevant. Has Graphisoft made some improvement as 'wished for' in the previous posts over 4/5 years ago? Am I missing something? Or do we still not have an 'out of the box' (no third party purchasing required) solution to make display order stacking less of a mystery?

In our case simply adding arrows to show direction of roof slopes is a tedious task. Sometimes they're on top, sometimes we have to dig for them (display order stack). Even leaders sometimes are covered by roofs or slabs or walls. Why would anyone ever want a leader covered by the model elements?!!!

Is this just another sad behavior that other successful Archicad users have become accustomed to in their workflow?
Andrew Obermeyer | Architect

OBERMEYER Architecture

www.obermeyer.la

AC 26 Mac M1
Jeff Kogut
Booster
I use a mostly stock work environment but one of the few changes I make is to assign the following:

Bring Forward = up arrow
Send Backward = down arrow

Not exactly what this wish is going for but it works quickly.
AC19-23 | Win10 Pro | i7-8700K | Quadro P600 | 500gb 960 EVO M2 | Dual 28" 4k Samsung U28E590
Learn and get certified!