BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Don't stop what you are doing when I switch tasks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
ARCHICAD!!! DON'T JUST STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING JUST BECAUSE I SWITCH TASKS!!!

I'm drawing a slab, using dimensions from another file. I have to switch back and forth between the two files because the slab's got a lot of sides and I'm a normal human being with normal human (non-photographic) memory. When I switch to the other ArchiCAD session the slab command quits. DON'T QUIT THE COMMAND!!!!

Copying/Pasting locks ArchiCAD up so don't even offer that as an option. So Graphisoft, what do I have to do? Kill a tree so I can turn it into a sheet of paper and print my bleeping dimensions? Oh, make a module and merge it? Well, at least all that does is waste my time, as just about everything else in ArchiCAD does. I should be used to it by now. No wait. For one thing, you have to copy to create a decent module, and as I stated, that locks up my computer. And I'm creating the module from a teamwork file in which I only have view only access. I cannot deactivate groups so I can't just import what I want!

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Bugs stacked on top of bugs stacked on top of poorly thought out incomplete features!!!!!!!!!!

When was the last time I said I love you ArchiCAD? Now you know why! Highlight my sig.
4 REPLIES 4
Djordje
Ace
Alex wrote:
ARCHICAD!!! DON'T JUST STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING JUST BECAUSE I SWITCH TASKS!!!
Alex ...

Go and have a long walk somewhere quiet and green.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
stefan
Expert
Alex, I think you need a break. You seem to demand so much from ArchiCAD, that you, realistically, know is not going to happen. Not in a cross-platform application, anyway.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Alex ...

Go and have a long walk somewhere quiet and green.
Believe me, I did.
stefan wrote:
Alex, I think you need a break. You seem to demand so much from ArchiCAD, that you, realistically, know is not going to happen. Not in a cross-platform application, anyway.
What do you mean? All I'm asking for (In this topic) is for ArchiCAD to keep running the current command/tool while I switch to another ArchiCAD session. Cross platform doesn't (shouldn't) have anything to do with it.

Maybe I do expect too much. Well I don't think I do really. Most other programs are very reliable and well designed. But maybe I do expect too much given how far gone ArchiCAD is. That's why I would love for them to spend some time rewriting the whole thing all over. Start from scratch.

Oh, and sorry about the rant disguised as a wish. Though I do think the wish is valuable. I notice that no one thinks this wish is a bad idea.
stefan
Expert
Alex wrote:
Maybe I do expect too much. Well I don't think I do really. Most other programs are very reliable and well designed. But maybe I do expect too much given how far gone ArchiCAD is.[...]Start from scratch.
Oh, and sorry about the rant disguised as a wish. Though I do think the wish is valuable. I notice that no one thinks this wish is a bad idea.
Most other programs are not cross-platform or (like XSI or Maya) use their own interface and ignore a lot of platform-specific behavior. Maybe this is more in a reaction to your overal "feelings" on ArchiCAD.

I'm an avid Windows user and notice a lot of non-Windows-typical behavior in ArchiCAD, but the overall balance is still in favor for ArchiCAD, despite it's non-conformistic attitude. I guess most Mac-users have the same feeling towards it's non-MacOS-typical behaviors.

And to start from scratch? I guess that what 8.0 was all about. I don't have direct insight into how big of a rewrite this was, but they won't do this again in such short time (unless this release was only a part of bigger efforts towards a next-generation ArchiCAD).

3DStudio for DOS was completely rewritten into 3ds max for Windows.
Wavefront + Poweranimator was completely rewritten into Maya.
Softimage3D was completely rewritten into Softimage XSI.

For what I know about it, this is often combined with stepping from a mostly C-program into a completely object-oriented C++ program.

I don't think the step from ArchiCAD 7 to ArchiCAD 8 was such a next-generation makeover, but it might as well have been a huge development effort that has to be paid for in one way or another.

Since I'm not into commercial work anymore, I can't afford any upgrade and certainly not a 100% new investment. In fact, when the need arises, I'll probably sell my ArchiCAD license (and keep working with an academic or student version, to at least keep in touch).

The step from 7.0 into 8.1 (let's not talk about 8.0 too much) was huge and the features are more mature then ever (with all the missing finishing touch as they sometimes have). ArchiCAD doesn't have the momentum a program like Revit has, but this momentum has slowed down for Revit as well, since the Autodesk-takeover.

Please keep on wishing (and ranting) but don't expect miracles.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!