Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Double Click

Geoff Briggs
Mentor
The common computer task of double clicking does nothing in ArchiCAD. This is a wasted opportunity. I suggest it be assigned to a particular task depending on the object. For example double click on a text or label object and immediately get the text cursor. Double click a section or detail marker to open the corresponding window. What do you think?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
15 REPLIES 15
Djordje
Ace
Geoff wrote:
The common computer task of double clicking does nothing in ArchiCAD. This is a wasted opportunity. I suggest it be assigned to a particular task depending on the object. For example double click on a text or label object and immediately get the text cursor. Double click a section or detail marker to open the corresponding window. What do you think?
.. right double click to get object information ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Why not have the ability to assign to double-click a specific task performed by ArchiCAD, so this could be customizable as well?
Laszlo
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Why not have the ability to assign to double-click a specific task performed by ArchiCAD, so this could be customizable as well?
Laszlo
This is probably the best way to go. The default should be to open the settings dialog. This would be consistent with most other programs.
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
Laszlo
This is probably the best way to go. The default should be to open the settings dialog. This would be consistent with most other programs.
Nope, Matthew, this is alredy item 1 on the context menu, therefore only two clicks away. The list of assignable actions should be everything that is NOT on the context menu - oh, BTW, that one should be customizable, too (speaking about other programs)
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
You're right Djordje, looking back at Geoff's recommendations, I think he's on the right track.
Anonymous
Not applicable
what's a right click?

bill

agonising whether to get a third party (washes mouth out with soap) multi-button thing
Anonymous
Not applicable
bill wrote:
what's a right click?

bill

agonising whether to get a third party (washes mouth out with soap) multi-button thing
I assume you are using a Mac with an Apple mouse.

Stop agonizing and start enjoying the comfort and productivity of a third party mouse. Comfort because you can choose from a wide variety the one that fits you best, and productivity because the right click and scroll wheel functions are GRRRRREAT! The Apple mice look very cool but I find them to be uncomfortable.

I use the Kensington travel mice (one fixed cord at the desk and the retractable one for travel) because I like their small size (despite my large hand). Some people like lots of buttons but I prefer the two buttons with the wheel because it works perfectly on both my Mac & PC without any special software or setup.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Djordje wrote:
The list of assignable actions should be everything that is NOT on the context menu
I don't agree. The best use for the DC may be something that's already in the context menu. The Open Section/Elevation command is in the menu but would be my choice for DC. Fully custimizable is best.
BTW, that one should be customizable, too (speaking about other programs)
Abosolutely.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Geoff
I am not sure I understood what you are suggesting.
Double click with the left button?
Wouldn't that be confusing when someone specially inside the drawing area? It could work for text or objects only if they were selected by clicking everywhere on top of them and not only on their hotspots.
On the other hand a double click on top of the menu to repeat the last command would be interesting.
Maybe I am wrong and should take a look at vectorworks..

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB