BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Easier skylight hole editing

MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Karl wrote:
You're not going to be happy with this...

It seems very odd to me, but the cut is adjusted by modifying the roof, not the skylight. (I find it similarly odd that if you select a wall and go to 3D, you get the wall and all inserted doors and windows, but if you insert skylights and select just the roof, then in 3D all you see is the roof. Not consistent. I understand why: skylights are done by an API add-on that cuts holes in the roof and then makes sure that the holes follow the skylight as it is moved. But that doesn't make it make sense.)

Select the roof, then with any tool except arrow (or any tool in 9.0) mercedes down on the edge you want to adjust and use the roof edge button in the pet palette to change the angle of the cut.

Naturally, because this is done by modifying the roof, and not part of the skylight, there is no way to eyedrop/syringe this new hole onto your other skylights... the other edges have to be manually edited.

And worse, if you drag your skylight to a new position, the roof edges revert to the original angles and you have to edit them again. Argh.

And even worse: if you put the skylights in a very low pitch roof (such as 2:12), they may not even cut a hole with OpenGL enabled! (I get a hole if viewed from the top of the roof, and no hole when viewed from the bottom.) If you want square edges, you may have to temporarily switch to the internal engine so that you can adjust the edges, and then switch back to OpenGL.

Hmm. I've lost count of how many workarounds are in this one post! Evil or Very Mad

If you post a wish for consistent behavior in this area, I'll vote for it! Wink
I think there's no need to add anything to Karl's post... Please, GS, add this feature in AC9.1!
MBPro Retina 2.7i7/16GB/SSD
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
1 REPLY 1
MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Oh, I forgot to add: there's a great library of Velux skylights at www.velux.at so you can download it and avoid most of the problems... Unless you need something very specific.
MBPro Retina 2.7i7/16GB/SSD
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
Learn and get certified!