BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Edge ends, skin thickness variation to generate the slope for slab.

Rajesh Patil
Expert

2022-01-11.pngExpecting detailing as shown in the attached image. I can do this with separate tools like slab, roof morph etc but its time consuming plus takes long time at the time of editing too. Wish, tools like slab, roof, shell should be flexible enough to do such needful detailing quickly and precisely. The way we can use wall end tool may be similar could be there for slab, roof, shell etc.

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-27 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Yes, there have been a few wishes over the years about this feature. I agree, it would be great to have sloping skins in Composites.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
DGSketcher
Legend

@Rajesh Patil I use the beam tool as you have shown with complex profiles for similar details. I don’t see your problem unless it is with using a tool with a “wrong” name? AC is simply modelling software and many of its tools are used for elements which don’t match e.g. roofs for ramps. The beam tool is one of the best things GS has added in recent years, if it didn’t have incline limits and would accept doors & windows, you could get rid of many of the other tools.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Rajesh Patil
Expert

2022-01-11 (1).png may be this attached image will try to explain the type of end results I was expecting. Also I need to extract the suitable quantities for various skins in this weathershade design.

Rajesh Patil
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB
DGSketcher
Legend

Ok, I see the mitres don't make it easy, but I would still use complex profiles with the beam tool with some segmenting for end caps. You will need to break it down into convenient parts as it isn't a simple linear beam. I think this kind of thing would be so much easier if we had the ability to create in place modules that would tie everything together into a single component.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
4dProof
Advisor

AS has been mentioned, custom profile beams can work; but I use a combination of roofs and slabs for this. You could also use an extruded shell as well.

My process would be to model the slab(s) with the slab tool, the sloping top with a roof, and the end condition(s) with a beam.

A rule of thumb is to model as much detail with as few elements as possible, but sometimes modeling with too few elements blocks flexibility and future edits to the model become tedious to reverse engineer.

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
Rajesh Patil
Expert

Terrace floor plan with water drain slopesTerrace floor plan with water drain slopesSection the top waterproof skins without slopesSection the top waterproof skins without slopesHmm.. I used wall tool with complex profile to achieve the above presentation but all together its not giving the ease for either designing or for quantities too. Leading such small errors affects the overall accuracy of project. Similar problem occurs when the terrace level slab has to be shown with the top skins with some gradient for rain water drain. Neither the presentation is correct nor the quantities. GS should work on these points for coming release.

Rajesh Patil
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

There is an article about how to model the sloping skins of Composite flat roofs:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-articles/How-to-Create-a-Flat-Top-Roof/ta-p/303418

Thanx Laszlo for sharing the link, yes I use to do such tools combinations to solve the problem but at the time of editing you have to be very particular. So I was thinking why not skins of slab , shell or roof can be flexible for thickness variation. May be this could solve the lengthier drafting process and ease in extracting the quantities too. Just a wish 😉

Rajesh Patil
DGSketcher
Legend

It's a tricky one to implement for example a simple taper will cause all skins to narrow proportionately, unless there is an override that maintains finished thicknesses and only tapers the core. Who knows, given the advance in beams, maybe an intelligent slab could be possible with full 3D rotation. You then have the two perfect tools, a 1D beam and 2D slab, with openings...

Solution

Yes, there have been a few wishes over the years about this feature. I agree, it would be great to have sloping skins in Composites.

Learn and get certified!