Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Elliptical arc door hole

Anonymous
Not applicable
Every time I need it, I'm wondering Archicad hasn't a empty door hole with elliptical upper arc (or better, flattened semicircle arc).
Archicad normal arc hole, if curved part is less then half the hole width, lowers arc center and creates two edges between vertical part and the arc start. I often have arcs that haven't edges at start, but are much larger than twice the height of the curved part, with the curved part that becomes a a flattened semicircle.
Even elliptical window hole has not the geometry I need, but looks a bit better than door object.
I hope that sooner or later graphisoft will add this type of arch, both as a door object and as a window object.
14 REPLIES 14
Lingwisyer
Guru
Are you using the US library? The Arch Top Door Opening in the AUS and INT library has an adjustable curve, though it is by height rather than radius.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have italian library, and I think I get the same object. But I'ts not the arc I need. This (which I model cutting the hole with a form) is what I mean. No edges between arc and stills.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Ah. A 3 point arc.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
I can only speak for the AUS (INT?) library, but it seems there is not a 3 arch opening.
However there is a 3 arch window.
You can use that and turn of the 3D detail - you will have an opening.
Turn the 2D detail off and there will be no opening in plan - you will have to add a fill.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I can only speak for the AUS (INT?) library, but it seems there is not a 3 arch opening.
Same in ITA library.
However there is a 3 arch window.
In realty I'm not sure the geometry is a 3 arch... it's more a squeezed half circle. Or better, an half ellipse (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse). I guess as you know, ellipse has two centres and the radius changes continuously. 3 arch has 3 centres with two or three radius (maybe left and right radius could be different). This can be combined with lowering center. There should be two parameters: center position with respect to the vertical part, and arc height (L1 and L2 in the last arc of attached example).
In any case, 3 arch hole could be acceptable in most cases.
You can use that and turn of the 3D detail - you will have an opening.
Turn the 2D detail off and there will be no opening in plan - you will have to add a fill.
OK, but this are all workarounds... I mean, it should not be too difficult for Graphisoft to create a door hole symbol for elliptical (or 3 arch) holes.
runxel
Legend
In the German library there is a window and an opening for that already...
It's called "Korbbogen" in German.

Technically it should be possible to extract that object from the OOTB .lcf.
Not sure, if users are allowed to share that one, tho.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
runxel wrote:
In the German library there is a window and an opening for that already...
It's called "Korbbogen" in German.
I downloaded German Archicad Trial, but didn't find a door opening with 3 center or elliptical arc. There's the same 3 center window opening I have in Italian library, and there are two door objects I haven't in Italian library named "Terassentür Korbb ...", but seems it can't be used as empty opening.
runxel
Legend
You won't find it with the doors but the windows.
See screenshot:
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
runxel wrote:
You won't find it with the doors but the windows.
Yes, I know. It's in Italian library too. But it's not really elliptical. And I don't understand way Graphisoft didn't make a port hole, at last from this.
In any case, many times I need elliptical arcs... and sometimes asymmetrical 3 center arcs too.