Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Exclude positions while cloning a folder

Anonymous
Not applicable
Clone a folder as the name suggests clones the whole folder from the Project Map (e.g. cloning elevation folder you save a folder with common settings of all the elevations created in the project). Why not giving the user an option to exclude one or more views from the list. View Map stays clean with only the positions needed.
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I would also add that after the Cloned Folder is created, one should be able to add to it/remove from it items of its source Viewpoint folder. This would make it even more flexible.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
vazkez wrote:
Why not giving the user an option to exclude one or more views from the list. View Map stays clean with only the positions needed.

Then it won't be a clone.
Just drag the folder across rather than cloning it, and then edit its contents as much as you want.

Maybe what this wish should be is if you want to edit the contents of a clone folder, you can convert it to a non-clone.
So if you want to delete one of the views, the whole folder does not delete.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good point, but I am looking from the perspective of template creator. I want my templates to be as much resilient to mistakes made by the user as possible. I want them to freely make new stories, sections and elevations in the given project and eventually tick them off in the chosen set of views predefined in template. Now they have to worry if the settings of dragged view have been set correctly.
In big projects where the View Map forms a complicated structure of different views most of the involved modellers/designers do not understand which view should be linked with which of the LC/MVO/GO/PS. And it is ok, it is not their job.
Barry Kelly
Yes it is a tough one when setting up a template.

You either use cloned folders and then all new views will be created automatically with the correct settings,
But you have to explain to the users that you may not want to use all of the views that have been created.
For example you would not need a site plan view for the 12th floor of a multi-storey building.

Or you create just the folders and views that you want, but then you have to explain to the user they must create any new views themselves (and with the correct settings).

I actually use a combination of both.
Cloned folders for floor plans, electrical plans, elevations and sections - anything where I want an automatically created view of any newly created view point.
Then a smattering of non-cloned views for site plans, storm water plans, landscaping plans and the like that I don't need for every storey.

I notice now in 24 that you can't delete a view in a clone any more.
You used to be able to and it would delete the entire clone folder - now you have to delete the entire folder itself.
I still think we just need the option to delete a view in a clone and have it convert automatically to a non-cloned folder, rather than delete the entire folder and create new views.
That way we can have all clone folders and the user can decide if they want to delete specific views (forcing the folder to be non-cloned) or they can just ignore the views they don't need.

I guess one work around is that you can have the clone folders and you can rename the views in that folder to say not to use them.
That still doesn't help when new views are created though.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion. There are many options that we can go on from here!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as Wish #12948). Hopefully, our Product Management team will consider changing how we make and edit Clone Folder in the future!

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!