Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Export 3D model to FBX for 3dsMax

Anonymous
Not applicable
WISH:

Make option to save 3D model in FBX format

FBX is the gate for working with 3dsMax.
3DS format is outdated, DWG format exports triangulates and FBX (and DWG) can be "linked" into 3DSMax making workflow elastic and update'able.
I understand that Graphisoft pushes towards Cinema4d but on the other side wants to be OPEN.
If freeware Blender can export to FBX than propably Archicad could also.

Since I try to make vizualizations and need proxy grass and other models with milions of vertecs Archicad rendering engine is pretty much limited for me (althought useful in some aspects).

For some reason there wasn't a wish for this before.... so here it is.
For me this very important, seriously.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is no more needed.
The FBX export is already there under Save As when used from 3D window, and it works really well !
To find it you have to scroll down the available extensions list as it sometimes hides on the very bottom of the list.

Exporting from AC and updating models in 3DS Max is now a pleasure.

Thank you Graphisoft !
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is this still an option, if so, which version of ArchiCAD and on what platform.
I'm running V22 on MacOS. To export direct to FBX would save me quite a process.
Barry Kelly
SKETCH3D wrote:
Is this still an option, if so, which version of ArchiCAD and on what platform.
I'm running V22 on MacOS. To export direct to FBX would save me quite a process.
In 21 and 22 there should be an option from the 3D window to 'Save As' a Twinmotion FBX file.
Is that what you are looking for?

If it is not there then it may come from an add-on that needs to be installed - but I don't recall ever doing that.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Pavel Tsochev
Booster
Is there a reason for this "Save As: Twinmotion FBX" option to be missing in 25?
Barry Kelly
Pavel wrote:
Is there a reason for this "Save As: Twinmotion FBX" option to be missing in 25?

There appears to be no Twinmotion Import/Export add-on installed with Archicad 25.
There is also do 'Direct Link' add-on from Twinmotion either.

I haven't tried but I have heard the procedure in 25 is to install the Unreal Engine Datasmith add-on for Archiad 25 (preview version at the moment).
You then export the file using this and import that into Twinmotion - there is no direct link anymore - you must export/import manually.
So this would be similar to saving as an FBX but it is its own Datasmith format - maybe that is FBX - I don't know.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Pavel Tsochev
Booster
Thank you, the Datasmith addon works just fine. The unability to save an FBX file however puts a stop to the updatable model pipeline with 3dsMax.
Pavel Tsochev
Booster
The solution I found is to save your Archicad model as a .rvt file (available in 25). Then it can be loaded and reloaded in the same workflow manner. In this case you have to keep in mind that .rvt files are version sensitive, so you or your visualization partners need to use the latest 3dsMax.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Datasmith Exporter for Archicad 23/24/25 was released a few days ago.
It contains a direct link to both the Unreal Engine and Twinmotion:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/datasmith/plugins
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Lingwisyer
Guru

Hm... the removal of the FBX export in favour of their newish datasmith format must be them really trying to push for the CAD => TM => UE pipeline.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660