BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Expression in building material proprety

bouhmidage
Advisor
It would be helpfull if building material propreties can accept expressions inside,
Now it's noy possible to ctrate a proprety for building material with a formula,
This can help in cost calculation especially
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I ran into similar issue, this seams to be big limitation at the moment. How did you manage to solve cost calculation?
I hope maybe python will have some access to parameters / schedules so this could be solved.
bouhmidage
Advisor
To calculate cost, i made an excel file inspired from the "contrabim cost template"
I create 2 propreties
1- unit propretie
2- cost per unit propretie
The rest is done on excel, i export the schedule and link it to excel, so the cost table updates continiously
You can check contrabim youtube channel and website, they put a small file for demonstration, it certainly inspire you !
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your reply, I have seen contrabim and indeed it looks quite powerful, however this simple task should be native in Archicad, we should not be obliged to use excel or any other software. If I change something in the model, I would like to have information how it affected cost, that should not be that much trouble to find out. I do not see any logical reason why expressions do not have full capacity for building materials.
bouhmidage
Advisor
yes it should be a native archicad functuinality , but, lik it is now, it's suitable for more cusumizable take offs,
for exemple,
here in my country , we calculate wall quantity sometimes per lateral surface, sometimes per linear meter,
it would be better to extract both of the quantities and export to excel and it do his job, you choose which unity you want to use there and voila !
if it was inside archicad, it's possible too, but with some workaround and i tested it
you create a formula propretie , the formula uses the IF logical fuction,
So, if the unit is m², then surface x surface unist cost, If the unit is m, then legth x legnt unit cost
Surface unit cost and legnth unit cost are proreties too,
so you'll end with a ton of propreties to do just simple tasks, and this would be furious especially for young users
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your explanation, I managed to create a similar workaround in excel as well following your advice.
JSN
Enthusiast

Still not possible by today I guess?

Learn and get certified!