BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Eye height in Walking "Explore Mode"

Gus
Newcomer
When "walking" around in Explore mode I never know what height my eyes are at. This is important to know because things look different when your eyes are at 8' than they do when they are at 5' and it's hard to tell what height you are at a lot of times. It would be really convenient to see the "height" of viewer in the lower left of the screen when using this function. It also would be helpful when designing a building for people who use wheel chairs. We could see what the room looks like and how user friendly it is from their point of view, pretending we were riding around in a wheel chair.
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed! I always get the question "what height are we at?" when exploring the model with clients.

You could change to the BimX model and explore that way, staying at the set height, but cannot make changes on the fly.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As well as displaying it, I would also like to be able to type in a value for the eye height and have the camera move to that position.

This would then make the "Fly" mode make sense (it does nothing just now) - if it's off, then the eye height remains fixed above whatever surface you are over. If it's on, then you just glide through objects at whatever height.

It would be nice if the wheel actually did something too:
- change the field of view (roll out for wider and roll in for narrower)
- or hold 'shift' to move a temporary 'cutting plane' towards or away from the camera.
- 'click' third button to re-set (and shift-click to re-set cutting plane)

I would also like to be able to customise the navigation keys in 'explorer mode' (perhaps customise from that pop-up that tells you the keys?)
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can push the "F" key while you are exploring and it will lock you in at the current height. You can move around but not up and down until you push the key again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
You can push the "F" key while you are exploring and it will lock you in at the current height. You can move around but not up and down until you push the key again.
Ah, I didn't look down when I tested that before; you can't really see any difference when you are looking straight ahead.

It locks you in at the current hight relative to 0 rather than relative to the closest surface to your feet.

Perhaps there should be a "Fly", "Fixed" and new "Walk" mode?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gadget wrote:
It locks you in at the current hight relative to 0 rather than relative to the closest surface to your feet.
Yes. When you navigate in the BimX model, you are locking in at a set height but are able to go up /down and the height changes relative to the surface you are on, as you discuss. This would be a good feature for ArchiCAD to have in the model navigation.
Gus
Newcomer
Yes, but even though you can lock the height, you still have no place to see what that height is, and that is the point of my original wish.
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
Gyuri Nyitrai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Gus wrote:
Yes, but even though you can lock the height, you still have no place to see what that height is, and that is the point of my original wish.
It is at 1.6 meter above the actual floor when you start BIMx but you can modify the value in the Settings.
BIMx Camera Height.png
Barry Kelly
Gyuri wrote:
Gus wrote:
It is at 1.6 meter above the actual floor.
That might be the case in BIMx.
But the original post was about Explore mode in Archicad.
Turning Fly off locks you at the current but you have no way to determine or set this height.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Gyuri Nyitrai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Barry wrote:
That might be the case in BIMx.
But the original post was about Explore mode in Archicad.
Turning Fly off locks you at the current but you have no way to determine or set this height.
Barry.

You are right, I have a BIMx mindset.
In case of AC the initial value is set by the current camera position of the 3D view and you can modify it by PgUp/PgDown.
Learn and get certified!