Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

FBX Export Archicad 25

Coulouri
Contributor

Is there at plan to give us the option to export to FBX in the future?
I see that many users talk about it but turn it to that there now is a solution to it by Datasmith to use with Twinmotion. But not all of us work with Twinmotion.

I work with 3D Studio/VRay and Unreal for many of our projects and sure Datasmith is nice to have in Archicad, but not to have the chance to export to FBX for 3D Studio or Blender is really a bummer. To not have the opportunity to have linked projects with FBX-files makes revisions a really hard days work.

FBX-Files is used by many 3D software and gives Archicad projects the chance to go in many different ways for presentation to clients. To just say we have Datasmith is to say that we only work with Twinmotion and Unreal, I don't just want to work with those, I want my projects to have the opportunity to expand in many other 3D applications. 

Maybe I missed something but I cant find the Export FBX anywhere.

86 REPLIES 86
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear all,

Thank you very much for raising the problem!

To my knowledge, the FBX export function was made available by the previous Twinmotion DirectLink addons. Unfortunately, Twinmotion has shifted to their new Datasmith format, thus this function is no longer available.

We have entered this request into our Wish List database (please refer to it as IDEA-4296). Hopefully we will be able to reimplement it in the future!

I am very sorry for the inconvenience! Thank you very much for your understanding, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Pavel Tsochev
Booster

Thanks! 😁

The thing about FBX is that it has become the DWG of 3D file transfer. Plus, the KISS method (keep it simple stupid) works best with FBX. The old direct-link and now Datasmith linking requires to many pitfalls compared to simple FBX use. I also use AR in some of my presentations. I plop the model down on a conference table and the attendees can walk around the table with their phones viewing the model interactively. It's a lot of fun and effective. This method uses FBX in as well. It's a rich transfer format that any top tier program should have.

Please expedite the request to R&D to develop this export option.

Thanks!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Karl Wir_n
Enthusiast

I have waited a while changing from AC24 to AC25. When I did and saw that the FBX-export is removed I realized our office can't switch to AC25. We are dependent on FBX export to 3DS MAX. And, no, exporting 3ds-files from Archicad is not an option. The obj-export is not good either. So far FBX works best although it too has flaws.

Graphisoft, this must be solved!

It was a surprise for me too how this export got overlooked. Probably the whole connection got outsourced to Epic Games and they just decided to cut off all other visualization software unilaterally, thinking that such a move could slip unnoticed.

It's a very troubling trend by GS when they do this. The way they stripped so many functions from the "new" 2020 BIMx, and now eliminating saving to FBX makes me think that something else is at risk of being lost; since things come in threes,

My advice is to save as a Sketchup model, then save as FBX from Sketchup. Of course this would require. subscription to Sketchup.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hello,

I'm very sorry for the experience, but I would like to clarify it once again because this is not correct: this function (as well as the connection) was developed entirely by Epic Games. As much as we want to keep it, since Epic Games decided to move away from this format, we didn't receive further support for FBX from Epic Games. Thus, this function is not available in Archicad 25. 

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Nuge
Advocate

I use to use this plugin for C4d (before enscape) i see that they have a 3ds Max version as well.

I was very happy with this product when i was using it and the developer Istvan was very approachable,  maybe you could contact him to see if an FBX option would be available

https://din3d.org/

AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render

Wanted to share another plugin I came across a long time ago: Mirza Plugin

However I have no idea if it’s still being developed (doesn’t look so) or if it would work with AC25. 

AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

Yes, din3d is indeed a good option for communication between Archicad and 3dsMax. We bought the addon a while ago and tested it. In some aspects it is even better than the fbx-export that Epic Games developed for Archicad. However, it is not possible to continue updating projects that are already set up for the fbx workflow using the din3d plug-in. Settings don´t match. That's why the removal of the built in export came as an unwanted surprise.

Our office has been testing different ways of exporting 3d-models from Archicad for many years but there are always some issues that have to be fixed manually after import.

I hope Graphisoft realize that the user quality of Archicad depends both on how good it works on it's own and how good it communicates with the rest of the 3d-world.