FBX Export Archicad 25

Coulouri
Contributor

Is there at plan to give us the option to export to FBX in the future?
I see that many users talk about it but turn it to that there now is a solution to it by Datasmith to use with Twinmotion. But not all of us work with Twinmotion.

I work with 3D Studio/VRay and Unreal for many of our projects and sure Datasmith is nice to have in Archicad, but not to have the chance to export to FBX for 3D Studio or Blender is really a bummer. To not have the opportunity to have linked projects with FBX-files makes revisions a really hard days work.

FBX-Files is used by many 3D software and gives Archicad projects the chance to go in many different ways for presentation to clients. To just say we have Datasmith is to say that we only work with Twinmotion and Unreal, I don't just want to work with those, I want my projects to have the opportunity to expand in many other 3D applications. 

Maybe I missed something but I cant find the Export FBX anywhere.

39 REPLIES 39

Nuge
Enthusiast

I use to use this plugin for C4d (before enscape) i see that they have a 3ds Max version as well.

I was very happy with this product when i was using it and the developer Istvan was very approachable,  maybe you could contact him to see if an FBX option would be available

https://din3d.org/

AC25 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / Enscape

Wanted to share another plugin I came across a long time ago: Mirza Plugin

However I have no idea if it’s still being developed (doesn’t look so) or if it would work with AC25. 

Archicad 22 TUR / 23 INT - Ryzen 2700x / Geforce GTX 1660Ti
Corona Renderer // Quixel Suite // Twinmotion // Rhinoceros
İmge Mimarlık // instagram

Yes, din3d is indeed a good option for communication between Archicad and 3dsMax. We bought the addon a while ago and tested it. In some aspects it is even better than the fbx-export that Epic Games developed for Archicad. However, it is not possible to continue updating projects that are already set up for the fbx workflow using the din3d plug-in. Settings don´t match. That's why the removal of the built in export came as an unwanted surprise.

Our office has been testing different ways of exporting 3d-models from Archicad for many years but there are always some issues that have to be fixed manually after import.

I hope Graphisoft realize that the user quality of Archicad depends both on how good it works on it's own and how good it communicates with the rest of the 3d-world.

Pavel Tsochev
Booster

Users would have given the feedback on the communication with the 3d-world if there was any heads up for this change. There is no single mention of FBX in the entire 4040 page Reference guide. Furthermore while the epic games plugin was not up for almost 2 months after the release of AC25, people were asking them on their forum and they gave zero mention or hint that fbx will be excluded. Had this change been at least noted before the actual release of the direct link on 20.August, users would have given the feedback.

And I'm almost certainl that when a moderator to the forum replied they stated it was in Graphisoft's court. I does make more sense that it is an Epic Games developed add-on, but there's some passing of the buck going on.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 25 (user since 3.4, 1991)
27" iMac (2019), 8-core 3.6 Ghz i9 processor, 40GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 48 (8GB)
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

Can you point me to that forum post by any chance?

....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

Are you a member of the Twinmotion Facebook group? It was around when Archicad 25's Datasmith link was released and people were asking why FBX wasn't an option and the moderator who responded said it was a Graphisoft developed link. I'll see if I can locate it, but it's probably hundreds of FB posts back.

27" iMac (2019), 8-core 3.6 Ghz i9 processor, 40GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 48 (8GB)

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Thanks, Rex.

I am not a member but I will check it out, see if I can find it and clarify this developer question for those users as well.

....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

In their reply:
"... if Archicad users need and FBX exporter it should be supported and managed by Graphisoft or the specific applications where the content requires an FBX format."

This must be the stance of Epic of which the earlier moderator in the FB group alluded to, but oversimplifying it saying it was Graphisoft's issue.

Would be nice to finally get it worked out and have an FBX option. Thanks Laszlo.

Emre Senoglu
Advocate

For those wanting an official word on the matter, TM team has replied on the official TM forum: thread

Thanks for the link. I replied there also expressing why FBX is a much desired "option" over Datasmith (and previously Direct Link). It does seem with their response that they sort of put the blame on GS a little by saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "they didn't tell us they wanted to keep FBX out."

Anyway, I do understand that it is "not" their responsibility to provide FBX out option for Archicad, although it was nice to have it for not only TM, but for AR apps and to create widely accessible assets out of Archicad.

So this again begs the question, with aaaallllll of the other 3D export options, shouldn't a world-class software like Archicad provide an export to one of the most widely transferable 3D formats? I hope someone at GS provides this soon, and not wait until v26.

JesperJ
Contributor

Our workflow will not work without FBX! Our achitect firm is staying on 24 for now...

Master's degree in Architectural Engineering & Architectural Visualizer
Main PC: 5950X, 64 GB RAM, 3090 & 1660ti
2nd PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM & 3080

Same for us. We took a decision to stay with AC24 until this is solved.

andrewzarb
Booster

I am using a work around to generate FBX files from Archicad 25.

My current work around is as follows:

1. Save 3D model as Collada DAE
  2. Import DAE file in Blender
  3. Export from Blender as FBX

When exporting from Blender:

1. Path Mode - copy; so that the model and textures are saved together
  2. Transform - Forward: Y Forward and Up: Z Up; this will keep the orientation the same as Archicad, or change to your requirements.

Blender is free and open source software which is availbale on Mac/PC/Linux.

Probably the best workaround so far, thanks!

Yes, a workaround can be done in many ways. I do it with 3DS and then to FBX to have the file Linked in my 3D Studio MAX projects, but that makes a lot of extra time and work. 

Yes, this works but you loose a lot of information as the DAE export is quite bare-bones

Karl Wir_n
Booster

Hi! I guess many of us posting in this thread have opinions on what criterias a good export function should meet. How about making a list to Graphisoft if they ever decide to make their own fbx-export?  This is what I think should be exported:

1) Global position xyz

2) Geometric groups. A wall with different surface materials should stick together after export.

3) Correct surface normals (not a big problem with Archicad)

3) Geometry triangulation, quads or "as is"-option

3) Material names (even long names and special characters)

4) Texture uv-coordinates

5) Soft or hard vertices and edges

6) Cameras

7).....?

Can you forum members come up with more? Or modify this list?

//Karl W

Export UVs for all objects even if they don't have a texture should be standard as well. 

Edit: Surfaces without textures should have UVs

Some great ideas here. I entirely agree with all of them. My additions would be:

1) Fixing the current normal issues with cabinet glasses

2) Carpet / Picture frame object textures exporting as regular objects

3) Pre applied smoothing / better curve resolution controls

4) Being able to export lights

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions