Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

FBX Export Archicad 25

Coulouri
Contributor

Is there at plan to give us the option to export to FBX in the future?
I see that many users talk about it but turn it to that there now is a solution to it by Datasmith to use with Twinmotion. But not all of us work with Twinmotion.

I work with 3D Studio/VRay and Unreal for many of our projects and sure Datasmith is nice to have in Archicad, but not to have the chance to export to FBX for 3D Studio or Blender is really a bummer. To not have the opportunity to have linked projects with FBX-files makes revisions a really hard days work.

FBX-Files is used by many 3D software and gives Archicad projects the chance to go in many different ways for presentation to clients. To just say we have Datasmith is to say that we only work with Twinmotion and Unreal, I don't just want to work with those, I want my projects to have the opportunity to expand in many other 3D applications. 

Maybe I missed something but I cant find the Export FBX anywhere.

86 REPLIES 86
Pavel Tsochev
Booster

Users would have given the feedback on the communication with the 3d-world if there was any heads up for this change. There is no single mention of FBX in the entire 4040 page Reference guide. Furthermore while the epic games plugin was not up for almost 2 months after the release of AC25, people were asking them on their forum and they gave zero mention or hint that fbx will be excluded. Had this change been at least noted before the actual release of the direct link on 20.August, users would have given the feedback.

And I'm almost certainl that when a moderator to the forum replied they stated it was in Graphisoft's court. I does make more sense that it is an Epic Games developed add-on, but there's some passing of the buck going on.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

That's a bit contrary to what was relayed on the Twinmotion FB page (moderated by Epic). However, it makes sense that "they" developed it. However, FBX is widely used export format. So the question is why can't GS simply create the add-on export as they have for the dozen or more other formats? Some of which are really obscure. Thanks for the reply.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

Can you point me to that forum post by any chance?

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Are you a member of the Twinmotion Facebook group? It was around when Archicad 25's Datasmith link was released and people were asking why FBX wasn't an option and the moderator who responded said it was a Graphisoft developed link. I'll see if I can locate it, but it's probably hundreds of FB posts back.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Thanks, Rex.

I am not a member but I will check it out, see if I can find it and clarify this developer question for those users as well.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Emre Senoglu
Expert

For those wanting an official word on the matter, TM team has replied on the official TM forum: thread

AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

Thanks for the link. I replied there also expressing why FBX is a much desired "option" over Datasmith (and previously Direct Link). It does seem with their response that they sort of put the blame on GS a little by saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "they didn't tell us they wanted to keep FBX out."

Anyway, I do understand that it is "not" their responsibility to provide FBX out option for Archicad, although it was nice to have it for not only TM, but for AR apps and to create widely accessible assets out of Archicad.

So this again begs the question, with aaaallllll of the other 3D export options, shouldn't a world-class software like Archicad provide an export to one of the most widely transferable 3D formats? I hope someone at GS provides this soon, and not wait until v26.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

In their reply:
"... if Archicad users need and FBX exporter it should be supported and managed by Graphisoft or the specific applications where the content requires an FBX format."

This must be the stance of Epic of which the earlier moderator in the FB group alluded to, but oversimplifying it saying it was Graphisoft's issue.

Would be nice to finally get it worked out and have an FBX option. Thanks Laszlo.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
JesperJ
Contributor

Our workflow will not work without FBX! Our achitect firm is staying on 24 for now...

Master's degree in Architectural Engineering & Architectural Visualizer
Main PC: 5950X, 64 GB RAM, 3090 & 1660ti
2nd PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM & 3080