cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wishes forum

FBX Export Archicad 25

Coulouri
Contributor

Is there at plan to give us the option to export to FBX in the future?
I see that many users talk about it but turn it to that there now is a solution to it by Datasmith to use with Twinmotion. But not all of us work with Twinmotion.

I work with 3D Studio/VRay and Unreal for many of our projects and sure Datasmith is nice to have in Archicad, but not to have the chance to export to FBX for 3D Studio or Blender is really a bummer. To not have the opportunity to have linked projects with FBX-files makes revisions a really hard days work.

FBX-Files is used by many 3D software and gives Archicad projects the chance to go in many different ways for presentation to clients. To just say we have Datasmith is to say that we only work with Twinmotion and Unreal, I don't just want to work with those, I want my projects to have the opportunity to expand in many other 3D applications. 

Maybe I missed something but I cant find the Export FBX anywhere.

65 REPLIES 65

Same for us. We took a decision to stay with AC24 until this is solved.

andrewzarb
Booster

I am using a work around to generate FBX files from Archicad 25.

My current work around is as follows:

1. Save 3D model as Collada DAE
  2. Import DAE file in Blender
  3. Export from Blender as FBX

When exporting from Blender:

1. Path Mode - copy; so that the model and textures are saved together
  2. Transform - Forward: Y Forward and Up: Z Up; this will keep the orientation the same as Archicad, or change to your requirements.

Blender is free and open source software which is availbale on Mac/PC/Linux.

Probably the best workaround so far, thanks!

Yes, a workaround can be done in many ways. I do it with 3DS and then to FBX to have the file Linked in my 3D Studio MAX projects, but that makes a lot of extra time and work. 

Yes, this works but you loose a lot of information as the DAE export is quite bare-bones

Master's degree in Architectural Engineering & Architectural Visualizer
Main PC: 5950X, 64 GB RAM, 3090 & 1660ti
2nd PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM & 3080

Karl Wir_n
Enthusiast

Hi! I guess many of us posting in this thread have opinions on what criterias a good export function should meet. How about making a list to Graphisoft if they ever decide to make their own fbx-export?  This is what I think should be exported:

1) Global position xyz

2) Geometric groups. A wall with different surface materials should stick together after export.

3) Correct surface normals (not a big problem with Archicad)

3) Geometry triangulation, quads or "as is"-option

3) Material names (even long names and special characters)

4) Texture uv-coordinates

5) Soft or hard vertices and edges

6) Cameras

7).....?

Can you forum members come up with more? Or modify this list?

//Karl W

Export UVs for all objects even if they don't have a texture should be standard as well. 

Edit: Surfaces without textures should have UVs

Some great ideas here. I entirely agree with all of them. My additions would be:

1) Fixing the current normal issues with cabinet glasses

2) Carpet / Picture frame object textures exporting as regular objects

3) Pre applied smoothing / better curve resolution controls

4) Being able to export lights

AC25 // Ryzen 2700x / GTX 1660ti // Corona / Quixel / Twinmotion / Rhino

İmge Mimarlık // instagram

Zaahir
Participant

What I do is save-as file to AC24, it says some data is lost, but that is only to do with layout spaces in my understanding. AC 24 still has the save as .fbx. I understand the inconvenience of AC24 serving merely as an fbx exporter in this case, but try this till something better comes up.

Soring001
Participant

I use Twinmotion with Archicad. Even in Twinmotion FBX files works better then Datasmith files. Now I cant use Archicad 25 because the quality of my Twinmotion renderings are not getting good enough with Datasmith. Really frustrating. 

Rex Maximilian
Advisor

Graphisoft's silence on this is DEAFENING!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 25 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

Rex Maximilian
Advisor

I was meeting with a game developer yesterday and we were discussing my creating architectural assets for their gaming environment. When they asked what format I would be supplying, I told them I'd have to get back to them.

The world is advancing. The "meta verse" is not just a buzz word, but a legitimate space that architects are now finding, and will continue to find, work. How are we going to be competitive in these emerging markets if Graphisoft won't listen to its users and provide us with the tools we need. Graphisoft is now increasing the price of its ArchiPLUS subscription, or whatever it's called, without any new technologies in this realm (nor in the AR market)... or at least fixing the ones they broke!

BIMx models still look terrible and flat (when it used to look great), and now we have no method of saving to the industry standard FBX for digital assets.

Fix this PLEASE Graphisoft.

My question to others here who are providing digital assets for a broad market, what formats are you using and what process. All I know to do now is save it as SKP and then open it in SketchUp to fix any translation errors, then export to FBX. Soon, I'll just start modeling is SketchUp from the start.

It's a shame I have to have a SketchUp license "solely" for this purpose... when a $5000 product with a yearly $880 subscription fee can't do something this simple.

I agree with Rex Maximilian. I work with architecture visualisation and our office is staying with Archicad 24 because of this issue with the fbx-format. There is a lot of work to be done if we were to change workflow. Any news on Archicad 26 and fbx  yet?

Would someone from Graphisoft be able to provide a status update regarding this?

Rex Maximilian
Advisor

For what it's worth even REVIT can export to FBX (Archicad's closest peer rival).

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/Revit-D...

JesperJ
Contributor

We are still not using AC25.

Best option seems to be .obj for now but it is much slower. Had to make a script in blender to clean the messy geometry but at least it saves the surfaces names and UVs for all objects. 

DAE seems to give better geometry with export but looses UVs for objects that don't have a texture and don't save names of surfaces which makes reimporting a real hassle 

It is crazy that a "professional" BIM program can’t export it’s geometry in an industry standard format such as FBX to enable its users to use more advanced rendering programs with ease. And no, we won’t switch to simple programs like Twinmotion or enscape we need a way of reliably exporting to industry standard programs such as Blender, 3DS Max, C4D.

As a user since 1991 and a reseller from 1993-2018, I can't recall ever seeing the program fall so short in such key areas of 3D. It is what Archicad used to be known for. As of now:

There is no acceptable 3D viewer for Archicad models. BIMx doesn't cut it.
There is no facility for exporting to the industry standard 3D interchange format FBX
Such new technologies are very limited because of this. Those offices wishing to take advantage of higher-end rendering are limited in their options, and exportation to AR apps, which is gaining ground for architectural presentations. The only option we have are workarounds.

My potential client I mentioned the other day are still undecided if they want to pursue their gaming platform in Unreal or Unity. However, they're still wanting to see assets from me. If I could simply have a PLN workshop for assets and quickly export them to FBX using the publisher, imagine the streamlined process. As it is now I need to export to Sketchup manually and individually tweak each one, EACH time I update the asset.

Again, this is a $5000 program with a nearly $1000 yearly fee.

Hey, after realising the lack of FBX export in AC25 (no thanks to Epic) I went experimenting to find a solution, and I think I have found a workaround for this issue! (at least for 3DS Max users)

The RVT format (revit) format is really an FBX file under the hood. In the past I had used the RVT format to link to max, however, when I discovered MAX really treats the RVT format as a "special" FBX file, I just started to use FBX instead.

Anyway, the new Archicad has an RVT exporter! (RVT 2021 to be exact, so you have to use this solution with 3DS Max 2021 and above)

So you can use the RVT as your "FBX" link. I tested it and it works!, it retains your surface material definitions, and "some-what" retains a good enough naming convention so you can identify Archicad elements, whilst keeping the link to AC25 for building updates!

NOTE: You do not need the Revit the application to use this solution!

How ironic is it that an Autodesk competing product gives the solution for Epic's problem it created for Archicad users...😀 

I hope this helps everyone out, it certainly helped me!

We just tested this solution but we can't get the textures right. Were you able to export textures and uvw-coordinates correctly by using your revit workaround?

The material textures do not translate with the RVT export, however, MAX interprets the material definitions as independent material ID's which is great!. Besides, persons using 3ds max would be planning to use more premium materials and 3D assets anyway. As for the UV coordinates, just simply throw a UVW Map Modifier on your objects you want to have UVs in max, and even if you reload the 3D model, it WILL keep your materials and UVs!, ... and ... any modifiers you add in MAX!

UVw map modifier.jpg

If you want a "quick" fix to applying materials in MAX, after you link your building from AC25 switch MAX renderer to "ART" and that will give you access to the Autodesk Material library, and u can just drag and drop from there, see image.

Autodesk Material Library.jpg

Start a new conversation!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!