Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

FBX Export Archicad 25

Coulouri
Contributor

Is there at plan to give us the option to export to FBX in the future?
I see that many users talk about it but turn it to that there now is a solution to it by Datasmith to use with Twinmotion. But not all of us work with Twinmotion.

I work with 3D Studio/VRay and Unreal for many of our projects and sure Datasmith is nice to have in Archicad, but not to have the chance to export to FBX for 3D Studio or Blender is really a bummer. To not have the opportunity to have linked projects with FBX-files makes revisions a really hard days work.

FBX-Files is used by many 3D software and gives Archicad projects the chance to go in many different ways for presentation to clients. To just say we have Datasmith is to say that we only work with Twinmotion and Unreal, I don't just want to work with those, I want my projects to have the opportunity to expand in many other 3D applications. 

Maybe I missed something but I cant find the Export FBX anywhere.

86 REPLIES 86

I'm sure Rhino makes a better model, but SketchUp is only $250/year I believe (unless they increased it and I didn't know about it). Also, SKP files can be added as an asset format (in addition to FBX) for a wider buying community should you choose to sell your 3D models. Bottom line though, it's still unbelievable we have to buy third party software (whichever you use) to do this.

"Very" soon can't come soon enough.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Kjoep
Newcomer

Another workaround but it worked for me: Save as Sketchup from Archicad and import this straight into 3ds MAX 2023. It keeps the textures and mapping. It also looks like it keeps the layers too.

The good thing about Rhino is: it has a perpetual license, no abo/subscription rip-off.
(SketchUp Pro, annual subscription, is 326,00 EUR in Germany, with tax). 
But, yes! It is terrible that we need 3rd party add-ones for some crucial features, often very expansive ones (LAND4, Modelport...).

Apple iMac Pro with macOS Sonoma, AC 5.0 to 27 INT and GER, all the latest

That's what I did for ArchiCAD 26 to Twinmotion before the plugin was released, but am still currently doing for AR apps.

ArchiCAD --> Sketchup --> FBX --> Import into AR.

The only downside is that this requires a SketchUp license.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
OttoA
Contributor

Great news everyone! I came across this Graphisoft roadmap that seems to suggest that an fbx-exporter/importer will be coming soon. Hopefully this would mean ac27 already.
https://graphisoft.com/product-roadmap/fbx-export-import

Coulouri
Contributor

Hi, I apologize for being inactive in the thread now that it has become clear that FBX is coming back in the new version of ArchiCAD. There has been so much going on.

I was told a while ago that FBX was coming back but didn't get to mention it until it became official and wanted to keep that agreement.

I want to thank everyone who expressed their strong desire for FBX Export in this thread and was an important part in getting our voice heard.

Many thanks!

Have a Creative Day

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Yes, it is coming back. If you download the Ac27 Tech Preview you can already see it there.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27