Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

FBX file export from 3D model In ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
It will be a great advantage if ArchiCAD could save directly 3D models into FBX file format the same way as Revit does. DWG/DXF export can also be enchansed so that Material only option is available (like 3DS) and models don't lose unique information about exported objects so the model will be updateable in 3DS MAX or other Autodesk software.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to see more 3D formats supported in general. Both import and export. A huge one for me would be DWF import since Navis can export this and it would make coordination sooooo much easier.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, but until the corporate policy of different companies stays above peoples needs it will always be like this - we will do things the hard way, and I mostly blame autodesk for this, there is DWG import/export in ArchiCAD but no PLN options in Autocad . I apologize for my mistake, the methods described here work for me too! Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
zach wrote:
I mostly blame autodesk for this, there is DWG import/export in ArchiCAD but no PLN options in Autocad
PLN, RVT and formats for Allplan, Telka and so on will most likely always be closed and proprietary. There is negative incentive to the publishers, the technical issues may be insuperable and it's unlikely that they could be shared well enough to be useful. DWG was a special case and it's use as a common format was long opposed by Autodesk.

Much better for the companies to improve their support for IFC.
stefan
Expert
FBX is quite open and documented. The FBX SDK has restrictions, which prevents the Blender developers to use that toolkit to support FBX and rely on other code.

The workaround now is to pass through another application, e.g. Cinema4D. I use it to translate an ArchiCAD model to Unity and be able to update the model while retaining placement in Unity.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Fbx isn't a optimised BIM format because of too much polygon
Archicad hasn't the same aim that C4D

It's allready possible by the C4D connection and AC22
Free plugin here : http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/cinema_4d/cinema4d_download.html
You had to use C4D to reduce polygon before import your model into Archicad

Open Fbx into C4D
Cut your fbx into C4D to make some Archicad Objet
Before export since C4D to Archicad : you had to reduce polygones by this tool

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad can export FBX files from 3D view !

It's somehow a hidden option - to find it you have to scroll down the list of available formats (at least in AC21 and AC22).
It does work quite well with other well-known 3D softwares, I give it my recommendation.
It preserves materials and their UV Mapping, shapes are round, does allow for linking... everything you need.

Well done GH, thanks !
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This FBX export option is not available in ARCHICAD by default.
I think it is installed as part of the Twinmotion Add-On so it is only available when you have Twinmotion installed.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
LaszloNagy wrote:
This FBX export option is not available in ARCHICAD by default.
I think it is installed as part of the Twinmotion Add-On so it is only available when you have Twinmotion installed.
I don't have Twinmotion, but I had it for a short while as trial. I did install the export plugin a time ago for AC21 and later I unistalled it. Also I didn't install it for AC22..... and at the moment I have the FBX export option it on AC21 and AC22.
Strange. This would mean that after installing Twinmotion trial you get permanently the FBX export option in AC on all your Archicads.
Anyway its there and works great.

https://twinmotion.abvent.com/en/twinmotion-dynamic-link-for-archicad/
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
philips wrote:
I don't have Twinmotion, but I had it for a short while as trial. I did install the export plugin a time ago for AC21 and later I unistalled it. Also I didn't install it for AC22..... and at the moment I have the FBX export option it on AC21 and AC22.
Strange. This would mean that after installing Twinmotion trial you get permanently the FBX export option in AC on all your Archicads.
Anyway its there and works great.

https://twinmotion.abvent.com/en/twinmotion-dynamic-link-for-archicad/

Interesting, thanks for the info.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27