BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Favorites

MSotero
Participant
1) I've always thought it might be nice to "selectively" maintain a "Link" between the Favorites definition and the Element it was applied to. This way one could redefine the Favorites definition and all linked Elements change.

Example 1: Link all exterior Walls to a generic looking Favorite definition while doing preliminaries. When its time for CD's, just redefine the Favorite and all Linked walls instantly change in the entire project to what you need.

Example 2: During the project exterior walls keep changing from 2x4 to 2x6 and back. Just keep redefining the Favorite and they're current. Perhaps you just want to adjust them for graphical character during preliminaries (a quick way to test various looks too).

2) Add Favorites button to top of the Info Box (or at least the ability add it using Options/Work Environment...). That way, we don't need to jump through dialog boxes just to use a setting.
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
MSotero wrote:
1) I've always thought it might be nice to "selectively" maintain a "Link" between the Favorites definition and the Element it was applied to. This way one could redefine the Favorites definition and all linked Elements change.
This has been discussed under the wish for "styles". I strongly agree that styles would be a great help.
Example 1: Link all exterior Walls to a generic looking Favorite definition while doing preliminaries. When its time for CD's, just redefine the Favorite and all Linked walls instantly change in the entire project to what you need.

Example 2: During the project exterior walls keep changing from 2x4 to 2x6 and back. Just keep redefining the Favorite and they're current. Perhaps you just want to adjust them for graphical character during preliminaries (a quick way to test various looks too).
Perfect examples of where styles can help ... especially when we consider all of the other attributes associated with those walls.

A bit of a workaround that I've mentioned a few times is that Composites give a subset of the benefit of styles. Composites of course can only have one skin... but however many skins they have, they have a fixed width, fill types, line types, pens, etc. associated with them. So, if you call a composite "exterior walls" and use it for all of your exterior walls, then when you change the composite, all of those walls will change. (If you have non-core-skins and want the reference line on the core, there is a little extra work involved though.) The wall height and all kinds of other attributes are not part of the composite though...

So, that's just a partial workaround for the few limited cases (roofs, slabs, walls) where composites can be used.
2) Add Favorites button to top of the Info Box (or at least the ability add it using Options/Work Environment...). That way, we don't need to jump through dialog boxes just to use a setting.
I think that's been wished for before also. What I've done in 9 is to map the "F" key to the Favorites palette, which toggles it on and off. It's a dockable palette. You get the entire palette this way, not just the mini list of Favorites that applies to the current tool ... but the entire palette has the 'redefine' and 'delete' commands (and more) that the mini palettes lack, so I prefer it.

I'm voting for your wish as a vote for 'styles'. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
MSotero
Participant
Karl wrote:
What I've done in 9 is to map the "F" key to the Favorites palette, which toggles it on and off. It's a dockable palette. You get the entire palette this way, not just the mini list of Favorites that applies to the current tool ... but the entire palette has the 'redefine' and 'delete' commands (and more) that the mini palettes lack, so I prefer it.

Karl
Sounds good, thanks I'll give it a try.
__archiben
Booster
i'm voting essential as work on the favourites palette is long overdue. there is the potential there for great productivety enhancement. as karl says - styles and the like . . .

i hope graphisoft are listening!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Balazs Simonyi
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
~/archiben wrote:
i hope graphisoft are listening!
Hi Ben!

I'm listening of course And I'm sending links to the competents too.
Both wishes are already added to wishlist.

Bye,
Balazs
P.s.: The higher votes, the more listening.
Learn and get certified!