Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Favourites & Line Tools

DGSketcher
Legend

I use the option of "Uniform Settings for Line Tools" but in the past I haven't had much need to use Favourites for line settings.

Today I realised:

1. The line, polyline, spline & circle tools are locked to their own favourites.

2. You can't save a favourite with a duplicate name.

Obviously it is just me, but that logic conflicts with the concept of "Uniform Settings..." . If I create a Favourite - Line setting I now have to save it for each of the 2D line tools BUT they also all have to have different names.

Either the Line Tool Favourites should be universal or we should be allowed duplicate naming. Personally I prefer the Universal option as it simplifies favourite management for the end user.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Benjamin Dani
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and opinions regarding this request!

I'm glad to say that we took notice and we have added this wish into our Wish list database.
(For future reference, you can refer to it as WISH-12578)

I hope we see this get implemented in the future.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dani Benjamin
Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

I've raised this too. I can kind of see the logic. What I do is activate the Favourite I wish to use and have them all saved as the Line Tool then open the line tool and make sure it is set to 'Uniform...' and then change the tool to Polyline or Arc and the same settings from the Favourite are applied. A but of a workaround. I guess it's better to be like that than end up applying a favourite across all the tools when you wanted the others to be different.

The bets way would be for the Favourites to lock to the tool they were assigned and saved to but if 'Uniform...' is selected then the favourites become available for all line tools.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

We're on the same page Lee, I just think this is another bad case of unnecessarily complex programmer logic. All the "Line" tools could/should have access to a single set of line setting Favourites. The "Uniform..." option manages whether the Favourite is applied to all tools or just the current tool when picking a Favourite.

The current arrangement of having to create four separate identical line settings with different names is not great for managing consistent attributes.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I don't think they all have 100% the same settings though? Some are unique to the tool. For example: how to draw circle or ellipse (geometry method) or if polyline pattern makes solid corners (dashed segments) etc etc

I'm not sure if those are saved with favourite or not...

We have similar problems with composite that are used in slab, shell and roof. We ended up using the "name + (roof)", "name + (shell)" method for our favourites. The difference being that you can't grab the settings across those tools is what makes this a wish?

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

You are correct, the geometry method & some other specific settings are saved with the favourite for 2D Lines. I'm not convinced the other unique settings are necessary, but I can see how that may be a problem for some users if they were removed. However, if you look at the dimension and label settings you can pick a Text Style favourite to be used, perhaps there is scope to use the Line Tool favourites as a similar sub-setting for circles, splines & polylines?

It does raise the question though, why doesn't the text style favourite selection auto update if the source favourite is changed? I would hope it would for line styles. 

I certainly don't see a way to merge the slab, roof & shell settings into a Favourite just now as there are a lot more saved variables in play.

Bottom line I think is the favourites only display the available options for an associated tool so there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to set identical favourite names for consistency across similar tools apart from OS file management if that is really an issue.

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

A line style or something with the 'edit selection set' options would be nice. You could maybe have different tools 'ignore' the incompatible options.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
DGSketcher
Legend

The "ignore" aspect is already built into the Transfer Settings with the only option being to omit the Layer setting.

The focus of the wish is really just to make using the 2D Line tools a bit more efficient with a Global Styles workflow. Hopefully that will have a spin off into text setting as well.

Solution
Benjamin Dani
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and opinions regarding this request!

I'm glad to say that we took notice and we have added this wish into our Wish list database.
(For future reference, you can refer to it as WISH-12578)

I hope we see this get implemented in the future.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dani Benjamin
Technical Support Engineer