Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Fills in elevation

Paul King
Advisor
I would love for Graphisoft to fix the bug whereby fills in elevation merge when they shouldn't (i.e objects not touching in plan)

Also would be good to have option force individual component's cut or elevation fills not to merge even when they are touching other identical objects with identical fills - eg when trying to show joints in assemblies of abutting items.

Fills in section are still needed to mask distant objects, or to show materials, so switching off fills in section/elevation in order to get joint lines is not acceptable - neither is the "manual touch"-up approach afterwards!

Finally, would be great if Graphisoft solved the ghost/hidden fill removal problem - whereby isolated patches of fill from distant & hidden objects can sometimes still be seen right through masking intervening walls etc
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
6 REPLIES 6
Djordje
Ace
Paul wrote:
Finally, would be great if Graphisoft solved the ghost/hidden fill removal problem - whereby isolated patches of fill from distant & hidden objects can sometimes still be seen right through masking intervening walls etc
I am Karling here - not really clear what you want. Screenshot perhaps?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Paul King
Advisor
Screenshot attached (very low res unfortunately - all that this website would let me upload)

First thumbnail shows 3D context in which section is taken through a desk , with the desk leg in the near distance, and a cupboard in the further distance.
All items have the same material/hatching definition & thus the same fill is applied in section view (3D hatching enabled in section settings)

The second thumbnail shows how lines are omitted to underside of desk in section where leg joins desk, and even to underside where no elements touch but cupboard is in background.

The third thumbnail shows (just) where the missing lines have to be manually drawn in under the status quo.

The problem is that all three items are 'healed" rather than shown as discreet elements.
Healing is not consistent - see how bottom edge of desk top is inappropriately healed, while the top is not.

Not even spacing elements apart would solve this issue

Possibly the problem is that fills are erratically being "sent to front" by ArchiCAD? - would be good for lines to be always sent to front instead unless "healing" toggled on for that element.

Not shown here is another example in same project, where the fill corresponding to the plinth of a cupboard appears pasted on the far side of a distant wall! - again a hidden line/fill removal issue?

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Paul King
ElevationFillsBug.jpg
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Karl Ottenstein
What version of AC, and what platform are you on?

Can you save all of the elements as shown in your screenshot as a MOD and zip and post that here?

I haven't experienced what you're showing...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Paul King
Advisor
Hi - module attached using all AC9 lib parts

Hope you see what I am getting at!

Have omitted the case of cabinet plinth fill projecting through a wall as this would require specific library part/pla (256k max attachment allowed) Can send privately if interested

Cheers

Paul King
Karl Ottenstein
Paul wrote:
Hope you see what I am getting at!
Hi Paul,

As they say, a MOD is worth 1,000 words. 😉

Now I see the problem, and also why I haven't encountered it myself. It seems like a bug to me.

First, I should note that with my default, somewhat fat pens, I do see the missing lines, but only barely as they sneak out from behind the fills. If I switch to hairline, then the lines disappear as you are seeing. So, yes, the material fills are being displayed in the wrong order ... and with a live section, there's nothing we can do about it AFAIK. This should be reported.

If I change your VodofoneAcrylicWhite material to have an 'empty fill' instead of 'solid fill', things mostly work. I have to change your "Stainless Steel" material to also not use Solid Fill, and change your section-cut fills.

I've not encountered this as I never use solid fills. If you are using white, as defined, the fill is unnecessary, isn't it? ... so I assume your intent must be to switch to a color later and print color-filled sections? If you are just printing linework, I'd ditch the fills. Your reasoning for the fills might teach me something new though.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Paul King
Advisor
Hi - good to see that I am not going crazy!

I use white fills as a visual cue to help me locate all non printing masking fills I have placed

I work with a parchment yellow screen background which is easier on the eye while also enabling white masking fills to be picked up visually

That way I don't confuse myself wondering where I put something, - it is obvious where I have placed such fills so I know what to check behind if required.

Aesthetically nicer while working in 2D (yuk) to be using fills rather than lines as well (feels like you are assembling objects), and often by masking rather than cutting elements in 2D you can save a lot of time

By associating a white (or other coloured) fill to a material, the library parts I define using that material then inherit a nice automatically resizing masking fill when I use Drawing3{2} or Project2{2} commands in 2D script to generate the symbol. A huge step forward.

ArchiCAD generally handles fills badly I notice in any view. As you say, you often need very thick joint lines for them to peek out from behind two abutting fills. Hope they are reading this!?

I admit I am becoming more reluctant to report bugs - simply because I don't seem to get any kind of response any more from Graphisoft now that official Beta testing has ended, & presumably the Quality Management staff have been reassigned (?)

Cheers

Paul King