Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Filter and select palette - Invert selection toggle

Anonymous
Not applicable
The filter and select tool is extremely useful BUT, it would be outstanding if one could invert the selection.

That way, for example, you filter and select all roofing elements with some user defined ID and select everything else so with F5 you hide those...
Right now one has to load the selection and shift+marquee to invert the selection...

I think using ID's also for filtering&visualization could bring down the number of layers and help properly tag construction elements.

Regards
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The way to do this is to select everything and then subtract elements meeting your criteria using the Minus button of the Find and Select Palette.
Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
The way to do this is to select everything and then subtract elements meeting your criteria using the Minus button of the Find and Select Palette.
Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve?
No Laszlo, I usually operate exactly as you say. It's just that being able to just toggle the invert selection would speed things up, specially with loaded models...

Thx
Barry Kelly
CTRL+A (select all) then Find & Select and subtract criteria compared to Find & Select, add criteria and then toggle shortcut (if it was available).

I would say this would take about the same time and steps to do.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
CTRL+A (select all) then Find & Select and subtract criteria compared to Find & Select, add criteria and then toggle shortcut (if it was available).

I would say this would take about the same time and steps to do.

Barry.
Well, the point of having the inverse selection toggle is to do only one database search, which makes a difference with big models, I guess...
Barry Kelly
Either way you would only be doing one search.

Your method would be - search, add to selection, invert selection.

Laszlo's method would be select all, search, subtract from selection.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I may not be understanding exactly what you require but could this be done with the quick layers palette?
Barry Kelly
methy wrote:
I may not be understanding exactly what you require but could this be done with the quick layers palette?
No, that can toggle the visibility and locked status of layers but not toggle the selected elements themselves.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a work around to make it.

First marquee what you don't want to change. Select all. All that is in the marquee is selected. To invert selection - Then hold shift (so you get the pointer) whilst you drag across all the objects both inside and outside the marquee. The selection is inverted.

Got it?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Birgitte,

That's right. This is a way to invert the selection. Of course, because when you are holding down the SHIFT key it will either add to the selection or remove from it. So if you have something selected and then you hold down the SHIFT key and draw a selection marquee around all elements, then all elements that were selected will be deselected, while all elements that were not selected will become selected, thereby inverting the selection.

Thanks for this trick, I did not know that.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27