Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Foundation Slab

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be nice to have a On/Off toggle in the Wall Tool that would turn On/Off a Foundation slab (that would show up in 3D & 2D). The foundation slab would mesh together with other foundation slabs just like one wall meshes with another wall.
7 REPLIES 7
Eduardo Rolon
Why controlling the visibility using Layer Sets is not good enough?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I personally do not understand your point.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The whole point to my suggestion has nothing to do with Visibility. Wishes are made for 2 reasons: 1.) To suggest that Archicad have a feature that it currently does not have 2.) To give a quick solution instead of a time-consuming work around. I'm looking for #1 and #2. To draw something that represents a foundation below a wall, I have to take time to draw dashed lines in 2D on both sides of exterior walls - very time consuming. If I want it to show in 3D, then I have to use the Slab tool and draw it under all the exterior walls - again very time consuming. If there is a toggle in the Wall tool to turn on a foundation slab under the selected wall, then it automatically draws a slab below the wall in 3D and 2D all at once - a very quick solution that Archicad does NOT currently have.
Eduardo Rolon
qwsoftdraw wrote:
I personally do not understand your point.
Because I wanted to understand what you are wishing for before voting.
___
I already control my foundations with Layer Visibility, Slab settings and sometimes using Complex Profiles.
___

BTW I understand what wishes are for but thanks for the information.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
No offense intended, but I find this to be a somewhat odd wish, as it is impossible to define a footing in any generic sense relative to a wall so that a simple on/off would do the right thing. This is one of those DWIM ("do what I mean") things. The footing size, depth, etc depends on loads, soil load-bearing capacity and too many other things for it to be magically created.

There is a reason that we model buildings the way they are built.

If one has a wall type for which a footing is known (or is to just be approximated and refined later), then just create a complex profile that includes the footing, stem, wall and whatever. Done.

Karl

PS Also - there is no reason to be attached to the Slab Tool as the tool for building footings. Any tool can be used. Short walls are much more intelligent than slabs, for example. Fat short columns are much more intelligent (snapping, size reporting, size adjustment) for isolated footings under columns. Roofs, beams and more all have uses here.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erich
Contributor
As Karl suggested, use the complex profile for the wall. If you then set your cut plane at such a height that it cuts the stem wall but not the footing you gain the control you are looking for.

Sset the overhead line style for the complex profile wall to be dashed and and your cut line style to be solid. Then you get the stem wall solid (and with a fill if you want) and the footings dashed and either side of the stem wall. Everything done in one go, 2D and 3D and easy to update as things change.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Bruce
Expert
Use a complex profile beam - that way it can be dashed in plan and if you're clever with your horizontal and vertical strech you can get a away with only a couple of profiles
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb