BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Full editing pallet for Walls & Slabs in Elevation

mthd
Ace

Currently we cannot add a node to edit top of walls or slab elements in Elevation.

If I wanted to make a gable wall end top triangular I would have to trim to roof or use SEO’s

I don’t just want to trim to roof either with SEO’s all the time.

I don’t just want to covert wall to a morph and then edit that instead because the morph will not revert back to being a wall. Neither do I want to hide a morph used to shape a wall on a different layer.

This is a simple thing that I am asking for and I don’t understand why it hasn’t been implemented into Archicad yet ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

If I understand correctly, you want to modify the side profile of a Wall. Since Archicad 25 Update 2, Openings have a Polygonal geometry option. You can place an Opening into one of the top corners of a Wall and then you can modify its geometry so its cuts the unneeded portion out of the Wall.

If you are still on AC24 as your signature states, this will not be available as the Opening did not yet have the Polygonal geometry option.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
mthd
Ace

Hi Lazlo, That’s good news about editing openings in AC25 update 2. However I am asking about creating a triangular wall top at a gable end without the use of SEO’s and for it to remain permanent. Those walls don’t always have openings in them either.

From what I understand and please correct me if I am mistaken but I can only do a permanent crop to a single roof plane. So that would exclude a permanent crop on a gable end because they have 2 roof planes ? Can a crop zone edit work in that instance ?

No matter the case, I still want to be able to do full edits in elevation and to be able to add a node and create any top wall shape or edits that I wish and for it to remain permanent.

Yes, currently I am still using AC24.

@mthd wrote:

From what I understand and please correct me if I am mistaken but I can only do a permanent crop to a single roof plane. So that would exclude a permanent crop on a gable end because they have 2 roof planes ? Can a crop zone edit work in that instance ?

You can crop to 2 (or more) separate roof planes at the same time, so a gable is not a problem.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Great that’s cool, I will test it out tomorrow using the crop method as well just to keep the gable end permanently in place. I have pulled back the roof planes but the gable wall disappears after using the trim to roof method. I just hit undo and it all comes back no worries.

I would just like to see Archicad become even more user friendly for us residential home users.

I completely understand why GS would like to keep cut walls live in multi storey buildings. I am also a quantity surveyor and changes and edits affect material quantities greatly. The good thing about permanent edits is that you can explore the model and see where extra costs and or savings in building materials have occurred.

Keeping edits live is fine but I would also like more control or to make my edits permanent if I decide to do so in elevation and cross sections as well.

Engineers like to use collision detection to be able to fine tune the design of structural elements and to make sure holes in beams and other elements are compliant.

Quantity Surveyors need to see where changes are being made to keep an accurate list of materials being updated. So keeping edits permanent provides great feedback to the Quantity Surveyors.

All good fun.

Edit: I tested cropping to roof plane, Archicad 24 required me to split the roof planes or to ungroup them first. I placed the roof planes 300mm higher so that my gable ends would become higher like a pediment/parapet wall. Then I put the roof planes back down after cropping and they all stayed in place. Cool ! It worked great.

I saw a video on Chief Architect with building a federal style house that also had gable end pediment/parapet walls. It looked much harder to do in that program but I picked up a tip that I am sure will also work inside Archicad. That is, that you could use small roof planes to cap the end walls and by just changing the external roof material type. I think that I would just use morphs to create the wall end capping and any other decorative extrusions that I would need.

David Shorter
Advisor

Some years ago (probably around version 9) I wrote a simple wallTrimmer object which I included in the Australian Essential Library. It was there until I (semi) retired from CI, don't think its there now.

wallTrimmerMulti.jpg

 Anyone who wants it send me a PM... was good for any sloping wall tops

Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
mthd
Ace

Thanks Dave, I remember the early days and how you are one of the highly respected Archicad trainers in Australia.

If it wasn’t for the AEL & the CI tools, I don’t think I would have made the switch to Archicad.

I will have a look for it in one of my older applications to see if it is still there ?

I am happy to crop to raised roof planes for now at least lol ?

Learn and get certified!