Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

GDL-Editor major improvements-wish..

Hmooslechner
Rockstar
There have not been any real rousing improvements in the GDL-Editor for years and it now would be time to do this job!

PLEAS MAKE:

1: LINE NUMBERS !!!

It is so annoying, if You get an error messege with a line number - and You have to find it by STRG+G (german version) and to tab in the Number and only than - it jumps to the line. If You could see the Line-number direct in front of each line - that would be a great improvement for itself. This should be able to be turned off and on - userchoice!

(By that way: there is a simple error in the implemented automatic finding of error-report-lines: In the beginning - it jumps to the line - but after a bit of working - it doesn not show the error d text highlighted as before.. this automatic function stops after a while..)

2. Script highlighting

It should be much easier to find things that belong together - (brackets, for...next, If then)
If i have my curser on the beginning of such a function - the end should be automatic highlighted - or colourd.

Colour Functions with special colours - to be able to see what belongs together!

3. Make it possible to devide a scriptscreen - like in excel - to be able to jump between different parts of text much more efficient !!!
Now it is possible to open two editors for the same script - one in the Dialogbox whrer the prarameters can be declared - and an extra one.
The problem here - it jumps unexpected to other places in the Script. So you cant work with it really. Ich yu change something in one editor - it jumps in the other editor to another place. Thats annoying! Please correct this behaviour and add the possibility to devide one editor into two (or more) parts without the jumping of the text. The second part should stay in the text, even if i add several lines in the behove one!

4. Make it possible to work with editable hotspots within the programming enviroment without the need to save it to check the functionality on the reals drawing editors!

5. There now are the following scripting- editors implemented: Master, 2D, 3D, Values, Interface and... Thats not enough!
It would be much easier for the programmer to take care oft every of his functions by edit it in an extra editor!

So if someone writes:
"myfunction":   ....    return

- this should open a new editor just for this function - to be found in every other script by using
(gosub)goto "myfunction"
Now i have to write all of it in the same text - and my codes are getting really big - up to 5000 lines! Thats too much. Help us to be able to devide this like written above!

6. Parameters: Please make it possible to switch categories off - like in the normal user-parameter-interface. Now there is a search-field obove - but htats not enough in real big parameter-lists. Kategories schould be able to be opend and closed in the programming - enviroment too.

7. Automatic tab - text-indent for functions:
example:
if S < r then
- the following lines schould be automatic intendet - and this should end by typing:
next S

There are some Text - editors available in the Web - which has some of this functions implemented - but not designed for GDL - where GRaphisoft could take some advice to make their editors much more improved like notpad++. Study them! Talk with them!

IT IS REALLY TIME FOR SOMETHING LIKE THAT - OR MAYBE BETTER THAN MY IDEAS! DONT SLEEP THIS!
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
1 REPLY 1
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Hmooslechner wrote:
5. There now are the following scripting- editors implemented: Master, 2D, 3D, Values, Interface and... Thats not enough!
It would be much easier for the programmer to take care oft every of his functions by edit it in an extra editor!

So if someone writes:
"myfunction":   ....    return

- this should open a new editor just for this function - to be found in every other script by using
(gosub)goto "myfunction"
Now i have to write all of it in the same text - and my codes are getting really big - up to 5000 lines! Thats too much. Help us to be able to devide this like written above!
You can use the CALL function to utilize your own macros. This will shorten the script, and also creates another window for script editing.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14