Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

GDL: PROJECT2 Command

Vitruvius
Contributor
I would like to see this command modified such that the top view

PROJECT2 3,270,2, [cut section through object at this height]

had an additional parameter to chop it off at a predetermined height above its origin. Think of it, no more goofing around with the 2D symbol scripting if you want to produce a really fast and simple GDL object. I waste so much time in virtually duplicate work making a parametric 2D representation match the 3D parametrics.

It could be used for doors, windows, and any special construction element which you'd like to truncate at 1200mm (or wherever) for the plan representation.
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
This already exists.

In 3D script:

IF GLOB_CONTEXT = 2
addz plan_cut_height
CUTPLANE
del 1
ENDIF

!!! do the 3D things

IF GLOB_CONTEXT = 2
CUTEND
ENDIF

Remember that Project2 is just a view of the 3D.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Vitruvius wrote:
I would like to see this command modified such that the top view

PROJECT2 3,270,2, [cut section through object at this height]
What I'm really missing is another parameter : show in dashed lines the trace of the elements above the cutplane.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoffroy wrote:
What I'm really missing is another parameter : show in dashed lines the trace of the elements above the cutplane.
This would be great. It could be accomplished simply by allowing the 2D script to define the line type to be used to draw the 3D projection. This shouldn't be too difficult since there is now the possibility to define a fill for it.

Attached is an example of what SHOULD be EASILY done. Instead I had to hand code the cut lines, fill and overhead projection. The part is a sheer leg that extended through several stories.

(BTW: Sorry about the earlier WIDE image. I didn't expect it would widen the entire window )
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:
This already exists.
Hm, yes ...

AND, in the script you should add the cutpolane always relative to the current storey, so that, for example, steel frames of variable section show the right section at each storey, regardless of the fact that the object itslef is placed on the storey 0 (1).

Mix this with dashes for the part from above ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
This would be great. It could be accomplished simply by allowing the 2D script to define the line type to be used to draw the 3D projection.
The problem if we use the workaround of cuting once above, once below, is that AC would have to do two 3D projections to get the resulting image (the one drawn in plain lines, and the one drawn in dashed lines)...
Lingwisyer
Guru
The issue I have found with using a Cutplane on a Project2 is that you do not get a cut fill...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Everyone,

Actually, that already exists! PROJECT2 has 4 versions by now ( PROJECT2 - PROJECT2{4} ), each a little more enhanced than the other. The latest version, PROJECT2{4} is specifically designed to give the user control over cutting planes and different displays between them. Of course this can be used with a single horizontal cutting plane, and a different display setting above and below this plane (and of course the cut surface).

Here's a guide for how to use it:
http://gdl.graphisoft.com/tips-and-tricks/using-project24-command

If you just set one cut plane to any height, and then set the masks and modifiers to display things below visible, and above with hidden lines (wireframe), then it gets the job done. At first it might seem a little complicated, but you only have to set it up once, and you can just copy it to any of your objects. With the right globals and requests you can also set it to be aware of cut plane and story height!

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Lingwisyer
Guru
Hm... I initially tried using Project2{4} but it was not creating a cutplane, so given the example, I assumed it only created contours. My outcome was the same as when I used Project2{3}... Though I guess that does not explain the fills in the command... I will try it again.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62584

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
B_E_A_T_
Advocate
dkovacs wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Actually, that already exists! PROJECT2 has 4 versions by now ( PROJECT2 - PROJECT2{4} ), each a little more enhanced than the other. The latest version, PROJECT2{4} is specifically designed to give the user control over cutting planes and different displays between them. Of course this can be used with a single horizontal cutting plane, and a different display setting above and below this plane (and of course the cut surface).

Here's a guide for how to use it:
http://gdl.graphisoft.com/tips-and-tricks/using-project24-command

If you just set one cut plane to any height, and then set the masks and modifiers to display things below visible, and above with hidden lines (wireframe), then it gets the job done. At first it might seem a little complicated, but you only have to set it up once, and you can just copy it to any of your objects. With the right globals and requests you can also set it to be aware of cut plane and story height!

Regards,
Great tip! thanks!
(òÓ,)_\,,/

www.studiov2.be

Archicad 24/25/26
Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM

>>> Read my book!<<<