BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

GDL, Param-O , combined to make custom library creation easier

bouhmidage
Advisor

Hello ! 

a lot of threads were opened here to talk and defend GDL scripting, and how it can help designing good librarie items, 

Param-O was born last year, and since that, there is no real visible development on it, few exemples on youtube and on the website to show how to create a curved sun shade, ( easier using standard tools, and some basic tables, 

GDL is strong , ok, let's admit it, but without clear demos, and a LOOOOT of serious videos, no one will try to waste months to learn to script a door , especially when Archicad isn't the leader of the market , so far, 

i have an idea, and it may be discussed here, 

Let's say, Param-o would be the assembly program, 

and GDL the code source.

A door is composed of a frame, a leaf, casing, handle, accessories, etc, 

all parts have a GDL code, and can be assembled graphically in paramo, 

The user select the part : for exemple the frame, he select the frame profile, paramo show a door case with the selected profile, 

the user call a handle type, and places it in the right place, 

like in real world, in reality, almost all objects are an asembly of small objects, with relations inbetween, paramo can do the job right, and GDL would be the base of background scripting, with no user inputs, 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
4 REPLIES 4

Gdl is basic math. Not that hard to learn basics. Advance objects are another story.

I've re written my doors like 5 times now lol

DGSketcher
Legend

I genuinely believe Param-O was/is a complete waste of resources. I was kind of expecting something that either worked as a scripting language to generate assemblies of elements that could then be further edited e.g. draw a column and then use the script to distribute it or alternatively it would have operated a bit like Library Part Maker where we can assemble components, but at the same time we can see, edit and adjust the resulting GDL code. As it is Paramo-O makes it hard work to do anything other than the simplest of assemblies due to the complexity of wiring everything together and many other coding limitations. If you can learn Param-O you can learn GDL. Get your hands on a copy of The GDL Cookbook by David Nicholson-Cole if you want a good primer. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for some time, but the basics are still relevant. It would be nice if GS had a similar approach to teaching GDL in their resources.

My biggest frustration with GDL is the user interface. The language of GDL is relatively simple; the presentation of the scripting, checking and seeing the results is hard work with longer scripts. There seems to be some activity to move editing to 3rd party VSCode which may have some benefits, but it also looses the current easy access and instant feedback that is so important for the majority of users. GS seem to think that users are happy with installing 3rd party programs to fill the failings in the AC armoury. I for one am not, primarily as I don't have the time or resources to take on and learn these new environments.

So my wish - Please can we see some investment in the current native GDL scripting interface to make it more accessible and user friendly for beginner and expert.

Perhaps @Peter Baksa could shed some light on the GDL road map?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I agree with much stated here.  Pure coding is most efficient, but I for one do better with a GUI editor and richly documented resource (like the cookbook).  For the same (or I think less) time invested, I have been better able to create objects in PARAMO than I have been able to in the GDL editor.  I have also had some success creating a object in PARAMO, then going into the GDL editor to make further refinements.  More video on both methods and a more GUI GDL editor would go far IMHO. 

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
Jim Allen
Expert

Honestly - I really don't think you guys genuinely understand how most of us work.

We are architects, designers and technicians, and absolutely do not have time to spend weeks learning GDL and building components from scratch!

Anyone who says they don't think it's of any value I think has a very different set of values to most of us.

The attached image shows some of the objects I have built with Paramo pretty quickly.

I've also built arrays of vertical elements that can be used for fencing, cladding, rafters joists, battens, and they are much more flexible than the options I have otherwise.

Sure it needs more features like these:

1. More options for list inputs including absolute values that users can select for object inputs (if I have coat hooks for example, it's better to have set heights be able to be selected from a list.

2. Logical operators/conditional branching

3. Control over cover fills

4. Display of values passed from one operator to another

4. Display of axes for geometric primitives

But it's really good actually! I learned to program and script years ago, but I don't have the hours to spend in my spare time learning GDL and building practice objects. In Paramo it's so fast that I can do it while I'm working.

By all means advocate GDL, because it has a lot more power, but it's definitely not for everyone, and just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean to say others can't benefit a lot.                                                                                             

Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey
Learn and get certified!