Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

GDL should be able to reference all view options

Erich
Contributor
It would nice for GDL be expanded to allow us to reference all Model View Option settings (the attached image depicts some that cannot currently be referenced). This would allow the creation of objects that respond to view settings consistent with the way model elements do (such as beams in this instance) making it easier to work with ArchiCAD.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
18 REPLIES 18
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have not tried previous library parts with this option of AC13 but I suppose that these MVO settings will not affect library parts coming from earlier versions. Only library parts which are written to read these settings and act accordingly will have this intelligence.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Peter wrote:
Library parts will be able to create their own MVOs
Curious where you saw that phrase? Link?

Thanks,
Karl
Karl, Here's my source -

http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/techsupport/documentation/developer_docs/BasicLibraryDoc/13/LibDevGuide/GDL_NewFeatures_13.html

I badly paraphrased it to be honest. (sorry!) From the description it sounds like you can create your own custom global parameters, not just the ones that Laszlo has listed. It seems you have to create a special library part which creates the 'tab' in the MVO, with the global options as parameters. Is this correct?

Thanks for the extra information Laszlo. It sounds like it really is quite a powerful new feature.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
OK, that does sound interesting.
I thought that the options in the MVO Dialog are hard wired.
But from this article it seems the options displayed here can dynamically change depending on what objects are loaded in the Libraries.
Just like the User Interface page of any object can be custom in the Settings Dialog, the global settings page of Library Parts can be custom in the MVO Dialog. Sounds good to me, I did not know that.
owen
Newcomer
thats how i read it too .... sounds very powerful indeed.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does this mean that library parts will be able to access and be controlled by the standard MVOs as well?

For example, the question at the start of the thread - can you program a beam object to behave according to the beam specific MVOs?

I guess you could create your own separate controlling parameter, but I would hope that the existing MVO parameter would be able to control all 'beams' in AC13.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Peter wrote:
Does this mean that library parts will be able to access and be controlled by the standard MVOs as well?

For example, the question at the start of the thread - can you program a beam object to behave according to the beam specific MVOs?

I guess you could create your own separate controlling parameter, but I would hope that the existing MVO parameter would be able to control all 'beams' in AC13.
I don't think that this new feature will be able to do that.
The way these kind of things usually work is that new GDL Global Variables are introduced which GDL Scripts can read and act accordingly.
But I do not see any such new GDL Global which would enable to read states of already existing MVO settings.
Would be nice though.
I said this before that in my opinion GDL should be able to inquire a lot more about the state of the Project, including all MVO settings and all Project Preferences.
owen
Newcomer
laszlonagy wrote:
Peter wrote:

... can you program a beam object to behave according to the beam specific MVOs?
I don't think that this new feature will be able to do that.
The way these kind of things usually work is that new GDL Global Variables are introduced which GDL Scripts can read and act accordingly.
But I do not see any such new GDL Global which would enable to read states of already existing MVO settings.
Would be nice though.
I said this before that in my opinion GDL should be able to inquire a lot more about the state of the Project, including all MVO settings and all Project Preferences.
aaaargh! When will they ever finish something properly!!??

I'm not shooting the messenger here - who in their right mind introduces such a poweful feature as Library-defined MVO's and then does not go the last 10% and include the ability to query the already existing MVO's??? GS decisions truly baffle me at times...
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Karl Ottenstein
Peter,

Thanks for that link! That is not something I had heard about. Like Laszlo, I thought the new MVO's were hard-wired and so could be used, but not that new ones could be created. Will be very interesting to learn more as more info is released.

Thanks!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think this feature opens a lot of possibilities.
Firms can customize their Libraries and script custom settings for their display.
I can also see business opportunities for consultants to help firms in this task.

For example, I can imagine a Global Setting where you could set what phase you are in: Conceptual, DD, CD.
Then many Library parts would behave accordingly.
We know that Project Files need to contain different information in different phases. For example, Door/Window Marker would automatically display their Marker circle and ID when we enter the CD phase but not earlier.