Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Generate gap above window or door

snow
Mentor
Have you ever discovered that this display with space at the top ist in archicad impossible?

The space gets filled with a broader profile.
In ground floor plan the space shows up, but also the laterally spaces are not shown in 3D. They also get filled.

If I create a custom door, it is so easy to have a seperate WALLHOLE element.

I don't know… door and window-GDL-scripts are too complicated as I could look in it to find the use of the WALLHOLE order there in…
But I think for the one who knows how such scripts work, it was easy to add an element that gets larger as the object itself, by adding space to opening elements.
ARCHICAD for Future

archicad versions 8-27 | mac os 13 | win 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
snow wrote:
Have you ever discovered that this display with space at the top ist in archicad impossible?
Yes. That seems odd.
Don't know if I can call it a workaround, but in alternative, I use "Openings Oversize".

Lingwisyer
Guru
The issue with using Opening Oversize is when you want the leaf shorter but not the frame...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. This is frustrating. In this case the only alternative is to model a custom leaf with a dummy gap. But this would never be a perfect solution as the leaf height would always be incorrect.
The thing is that the dimension shown by @Snow indicates what seems to be a gap, but actually it is a frame dimension tolerance and it is geometrically represented as part of the frame itself. This is misleading. In practice/site it will be a real gap that will be filed by expanded foam. At least here in Portugal.
Podolsky
Ace
This problem with spaces in openings is odd. Every door window has parameter as structural opening size and unit size. It's better to use these parameters because of scheduling. But when you have unit size smaller then Structural opening - ArchiCAD is extending frame to infill gaps. In numbers these gaps do exist, but they are not shown in 3d. I don't know why objects are written this way - maybe to have cleaner sections / elevations.
snow
Mentor
Maybe this phenomenon ist considered more as a feature than a bug.

If there is a small gap (in scales up to 1:20) you get a cleaner drawing if the gap ist not shown particularly in the front view.
But in some Situations there is a need to show the gap, above all in sections.

As I showed…
Thats's possible in the plan:

But you can't get this:

If you save an opening element with LPM you can choose surface and building material of the spaces.
… A feature for the future of all opening elements?

But even then I wonder if somehow can with this the display controlled completely... there might remain cut lines…
ARCHICAD for Future

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinions regarding this issue with doors and windows!

To make sure that I understand correctly, may I ask whether the wish is about generating a gap at the leaf or at the wallhole/frame? If the gap is at the frame, is using Opening Oversize a good solution, or what was the limitation of it?

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Podolsky
Ace
Hi Minh,

Opening oversize is not excellent option because of scheduling. In scheduling two parameters must be shown - structural opening size and unit size. By setting unit size smaller then structural opening size ArchiCAD infills gaps between SO and frame by extending frame. So a gap exists in numbers but not shown in 3D.
snow
Mentor
Yes, the nominal dimension is basically the dimension of the wall hole.
… and should not change because of gaps.

(With building construction the term 'oversize' related to opening elements ist not common.)
For other reasons the dimension of the element itself is needed.

I would say:
In sections a gap has to be displayed always (like in the ground floor plan)
In front views we want to have the possibility to choose if gaps are 'free' (smaller scales) or filled (larger scales).

(And by the way:
Opening oversize seems only to be available for elements of the Library of INT-Version… is not there in the german one.)
ARCHICAD for Future

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your explanation! I have now understood the issue.

I have entered the wish as DEF-5959 in our database. Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

I wish you all a great day!
Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT