Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Global Defaults Option

Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiCAD is incredibly flexible, which can be translated as "incredibly complicated". Every object has it's own Contour Pen, Section Pen, Vector Pen, Font, Font Size, and You-Name-It settings for just about everything. The annotation tool has separate pen and font options for every single tool.

While this is certainly flexible, in many circumstances it is not necessary.

First, I would like to see an option where you can set individual fonts like AC normally does, or force the tools to default to a specific font. My company is only using one font, but currently I have to set it in 50 or 60 different locations.

Next, I would like to see an option where you can choose to set specific pen(s) for each tool as defaults. I find that I usually use the same pen for tools like sections, details, annotation, text, etc. (See dialog below) Doing this for linetypes might be a good idea, too.
9 REPLIES 9
Djordje
Ace
Jay wrote:
First, I would like to see an option where you can set individual fonts like AC normally does, or force the tools to default to a specific font. My company is only using one font, but currently I have to set it in 50 or 60 different locations.
It is called Template.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, yes. I set that up along with favorites for just about every element configuration that we typically use. One big problem I am having is that the favorites store the font in a numeric form (I believe) and when they are loaded onto different machines the favorites reference different fonts. GS tech support told me this was a real bug and gave me a tracking number, but if I could have just forced the font globally it would have been much simpler.

As it is, I killed about 10 hours redoing the fonts, only to find out that they no longer worked on my machine properly, then trying various combinations on other machines, then emailing tech support, and so forth.

It still would be much easier to be able to tell AC "all text is Arial with pen #7" rather than "this text is Arial with pen #7", "that text is Arial with pen #7", "this other text is Arial with pen #7"........
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you feel like experimenting (assuming you're on Windows). I checked out the registry to see if there is a global option. There seems to be, but I don't have time to risk experimenting with it. Go to "Run" off the start menu and type "regedit" It looks like you can make this change at the followng location:
HKEY_CURRENT _USER\Software\Graphisoft\Archicad\Archicad 8.0.0. USA R3 (or what ever version you have)\Font Description

No guarantees here, but that's what I would try. Just make sure that you have Archicad is closed.

Please let us know if it works.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried the registry trick about 3 weeks ago. It only adjusts palette and dialog fonts, not tool fonts. Although changing the palette font to Arial Narrow allowed longer layer and composite descriptions to display their full name.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the info, I was afraid of that. But, still good to know.
Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Added to wishlist
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fantastic! I had to repair Windows, and now all the fonts I defined in my favorites have changed from "Arial Narrow Western" to "Century Gothic Greek"! That makes my day!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think one important wish here is for GS to fix font functions in Windows. The fonts have always worked just fine on the Macs and have always been a big pain in AC on Windows.

It can't be just a platform thing since Word, etc. don't seem to have problems. It may be more difficult to get fonts to work in Windows programs, but it seems that this should get sorted out.

I have always been bugged by the Western, Cyrillic, etc. versions in the font list. It is not only a pain to have a font list that is several times longer than necessary, but it also created some file conversion nightmares for me a long time ago (I think this is since fixed).
Djordje
Ace
Jay, maybe this is the way to go:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=17242#17242
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen