Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Graphic Override: Fill Orientation Option

Anonymous
Not applicable
The ability to specify the fill orientation within the Graphic Override.
Details are descripted here:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=58017
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=73947
A suggestion for implementation could be like this:
22 REPLIES 22
Podolsky
Ace
The only hidden rock here - probably you cannot get information about walls body position to reference line. Then it can be solved in label UI - to choose left, right or centre. And also we can ask Graphisoft to include this information into GDL globals.
I thought that also possible to use wall accessory - then described problem above might not exist. But with labels is faster - ArchiCAD can place all labels using one command, when if using accessories - you need to place each element one by one.
Probably possible to have both - and label and accessory.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well... I did some tests and it is way above my knowledge. Too many parameters to define a wall position (Arched or straight included) . Besides this, I see some real pain in the connection between walls... In sum... A nightmare.
For now, I would stick with the "copied-walls-zero-width-exploded-consolidated-symbol-lines".
And wait for a Graphic Override Fill Orientation Option.
Podolsky
Ace
Disagree that this is complicated. Simple mathematic. If you want to program anything - you need to deal with arrays of parameters and algorithms. Take a look for example to MEP pipe - there IS a lot of parameters, but even MEP pipe is not so complicated.
Podolsky
Ace
This is promised label. It actually works with straight walls without any problems. I cannot figure out how to get curved wall radius (most likely it's GDL limitation), because of that curvature needs to be adjusted manually via editable hotspots. But because usually majority of walls are straight - it's not a big problem.
The workflow is very simple. You need to have property for your fire-rating values (must be string) in ArchiCAD. By default I set the property name from USA standard template. Label UI contains field where to enter property name and 9 fields for each value and 9 line types: from 1 to 4 hours, 1 to 4 hours with smoke barrier and just smoke barrier.
You need to set these values names the same as in template.
After set fire-rating value for each wall. Select a level first. Then select all walls. Use 'label all elements' command. ArchiCAD will place all labels in the middle of the wall, following correct wall length, position and rotation - as one-click solution. Editable hotspots let to change line length and curvature, if needed.
Don't forget to choose right layer for these labels. It's suppose to be F-WALL-ANNO or just F-ANNO - if I understand NCS correct.
I didn't add support for sections yet, but probably it's not needed. If needed - can be added later.
I think that label's UI can be moved to MVO - but it's can be done later, as library will progress and grow.

Write me PM how to send me beer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Podolsky,
I didn't say it was impossible... Just beyond of my knowledge. My GDL kungfu is not that strong.
Your GDL skills are very impressive. Specially by doing this in this short time. Even if I had the stamina, I would probably need months to achieve part of this. Basically I just use brute force (trial/error) for my GDL math.
I checked your label and it seems its working almost perfectly. I can see that the connections between lines are not mitering. I understand that the label can not know what is the width of adjoining walls, but I think that if you assume that they are the same of the labeled wall it would miter properly. And then we could use the editable hotspots for fine tune (which I presume you put it there for this purpose ). I also put it to some stress regarding changing wall direction and reference line offset... It respond flawlessly. Very impressive. The arched line option is missing, but you included an editable hotspot to manually edit it. Very handy while waiting for an automatic solution. Anyway... Thanks for your contribution. I am sure a lot of users will benefit from your label object.
Cheers,

p.s.: But I still think that the GO Fill Orientation Option would be the ideal solution, as it could automatically add the symbolic fill thru specific criteria.
Podolsky
Ace
Thank you very much.
Use of symbol fill for that purpose is not good. You need a line, because NCS states it must be line, and in AutoCAD it must be shown as a line (if we assume - we don't care how to show it in ArchiCAD as a line or symbol fill).

To write the code took me one evening. Maybe 4-5 hours max. For hotspots I used parts from biarc object - where I created formulas how to define an arc having three spots.

I cannot imagine what you would do one month with this object. Maybe simply you need a proper GDL tutor?
Maybe you need take a chance and start learning from me - especially when I offer to teach (I even had a post in this forum, where I was looking for students to teach)? Because I also cannot wait forever. I could say - what the damn forum - people are projecting their egos and nothing interesting happen, I'll go find how to busy myself in this life.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky wrote:
Maybe simply you need a proper GDL tutor?
Thank you very much for the offer. Really. But I know that GDL and coding in general is kind of a rabbit hole. My interesting in GDL is becoming more like watching Bruce Lee movies. I know a few tricks... But to get in this kind of level would need too much from my time while having other projects.
Podolsky
Ace
Well, if you like Bruce Lee movies - watch the last Tarantino movie - where Brad Pitt kicks ...s of Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee in real life was really annoying a...le. Maybe it's time to face reality?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well... Tarantino has his opinion. This was reality in 1967.

Podolsky
Ace
yes, we will speak now here about anything apart how to improve GDL skills...