Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Graphic Override: Fill Orientation Option

Anonymous
Not applicable
The ability to specify the fill orientation within the Graphic Override.
Details are descripted here:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=58017
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=73947
A suggestion for implementation could be like this:
22 REPLIES 22
Podolsky
Ace
It can be done automatically. Just if original fill set to fit the skin, then overrides do the same. Also following original fill origin and proportion. No need to add more and more buttons to interface. ArchiCAD already expanding like bread in oven. If we continue like that - one day we will be lost in this forest of parameters. Not huge amount of parameters available for user making software parametric.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky wrote:
It can be done automatically. Just if original fill set to fit the skin
And what if its a composite or CP wall with non "Fit to Skin" BM?
Podolsky
Ace
That means - set it to be fit in skin in BM interface. How often do you need it? For insulation mostly.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Podolsky. Did you read the links in the first post?
If you have a working solution for that, I am sure Aaron will offer you a couple of beers.
Podolsky
Ace
The initial post is saying about marking fire-rating of walls. In USA.
I did hear before on this forum opinion that in USA doesn't exist CAD standard. It does exist. And according to NCS fire rating mast look as attached. Anyone of course can introduce their method - but what the point to re-invent the wheel. So it is a line with symbols. Maybe we need look into lines - how to override them. Something similar that Barry were writing. I'm thinking about this problem in any case so I might ask for beer then one day.
Podolsky
Ace
Ok, this is the solution to the problem.

1. We need to place a line somehow in the middle of the wall (any configuration) in plan and possibly in section. In section we also might have a line in the middle of slab and roof. It must be line, not symbol fill, to avoid problems exporting drawing to DWG. I guess AutoCAD can have fire rated lines already in standard settings - let say in AutoCAD Architecture. If yes - match these lines with ArchiCAD lines in translator.
2. We can use automatic placement of labels - when selecting all walls on plan and use command 'Label Selected Elements'. In USA version this command even placed as a button on top strip of standard toolbar. In INT version hidden somewhere in Document menu. Don't recall where exactly.
3. Label knows its XY location to project origin: LABEL_POSITION
4. Label also knows position of the wall, length and rotation angle: WALL_POSITION, WALL_DIRECTION, WALL_THICKNESS and another details as radius of curved wall.
5. Label can read property of the wall and receive fire rating value.
6. Quite simple to figure out on plan position of the line in the middle of the wall and choose right line-type for different fire-rating value. Labels can be placed in separate layer shown on fire strategy plans only.
7. A little bit more complicated in section. X position on screen can be problematic to detect automatically, but at least we can know exact Y (wall height). Same with slabs - X coordinate for slab then can be adjusted manually. But sections with fire rating is not needed so often, so it's manageable.

I can create such labels. And upload to this forum and BIM components.
Beer please.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky wrote:
We can use automatic placement of labels
Great idea. Looks like a potential solution.

Podolsky wrote:
I can create such labels. And upload to this forum and BIM components.
Beer please.
Looks like someone is going to get wasted.
This does look interesting. Is there a Python component to this workflow? That is, find the centreline of the wall, regardless of the reference line, and place poly lines that read the F.R.R. property of the wall?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it can be done with pure GDL. Theoretically labels can get the exact position and rotation, as well as the width of a wall. We can then script a Line2 right in the middle of the wall.