Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Gravity to Mesh/Slab/Roof/Shell Association

Anonymous
Not applicable
I work for the San Diego Zoo and do all our Schematic Design in ArchiCAD. As such we have large sites with allot of landscape elements (plants, trash cans, Benches, Stairs, handrails, play elements) that I place on the mesh using the gravity tool. The thing that frustrates me is as I continue to develop the site plan and move contour lines to fine grade the site the objects remain in the original location. What I wish is that a library part elevation can be linked to the object the same way the elevation marker is linked so as I change the contour elevations all my plants, site elements will follow the referenced surface. This association would save me so much time in adjusting elevations of objects after we adjust the site for ADA slopes and fine grading through the rest of the design process.
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Not really an Archicad discussion so I moved this post to the wishes forum.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Chris,

I was wondering if this adjustment in element elevations could be achieved using the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Connection. You would know where each object is, you could get the top surface of an ARCHICAD Mesh in Grasshopper, Grasshopper could calculate the Mesh surface elevation at the position of each element and reposition the elements to be located on the surface of the Mesh.
This is theory, but GH-AC may be able to do it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
alemanda
Advocate
well ... actually I think the tecnology is already there. Levels - associated to a mesh as well as those ones associated to slabs - updated automatically so what we only need is just a "link" between objects/elements ... such as "linking tecnology" would enhance the BIM Spirit of the programa and speed up certain routine operations.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is an essential tool, and it could be combined or complemented with a "follow the mesh" tool that I posted here. https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=62474#p286735

alemanda wrote:
well ... actually I think the tecnology is already there. Levels - associated to a mesh as well as those ones associated to slabs - updated automatically so what we only need is just a "link" between objects/elements ... such as "linking tecnology" would enhance the BIM Spirit of the programa and speed up certain routine operations.
alemanda, I must disagree with you. The problem is that this works only in a flat scenario. When the project has even a slight hill, the walls, slabs and etc won't be in a exact level, but somewhere inbetween them, and they will partially float over the mesh or stay buried and even if both mesh and object are linked to a floor, if you modify a level line of the mesh they will still mismatch, because only its base is linked to a floor.