Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Grid Elements

gdford
Advisor
There are times when grid element label heads do not fit on the drawings and thus get trimmed off... I know we can create additional drawings on the layout that only show the grid element heads that we need and then align it manually with the drawing on the layout that has the grid element heads trimmed off...... but it would be nice is we could drill down to the grid element name and display it using autotext in the model and not have to worry about coordinating the grid line names on the layout..... the same is true for story id, names and elevations.

Personally i think that all information in any object should be available using autotext... Story markers are a good example of this... Instead of increasing the flexibility of what the story marker can display, just give me access to the marker data so i can display it how i want.... where's the bim?

Thanks,
GaryF
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Podolsky
Ace
object also uploaded to BIM components

View solution in original post

Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi Eduardo,

Per your advice, I played around with line and scale, but couldn't reproduce the issue. If you are interested in a deeper investigation, I would like to have a sample of your project file, where the issue can be reproduced for further testing.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Podolsky
Ace
The problem with grid element is solvable. I have created label element on GDL that reads gridline name and shows it. The label element can also read and represent all parameters of Gridline head - colour, shape, size, background pen.

Almost all information of elements is available via GDL.

As about story markers - I have created separate GDL element (object), that has much more functions. If you are interested I can share it with you.
gdford
Advisor
Yes I would love for you to share - I would like very much to see how those work...
Even though back in the day I was a database programmer I have resisted digging into GDL as there doesn't seem to be a decent development kit for GDL. I lived working with just the raw language and a text editor that back in the early 80's and I refuse now to use a language that doesn't have a decent development tool. It is hard for me to come up with an excuse for Graphisoft for not building at least a simple development tool for GDL. I am glad some folks persevere and build some code anyway.
Gary
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
vdentello
Advocate
gdford wrote:
Yes I would love for you to share - I would like very much to see how those work...
Even though back in the day I was a database programmer I have resisted digging into GDL as there doesn't seem to be a decent development kit for GDL. I lived working with just the raw language and a text editor that back in the early 80's and I refuse now to use a language that doesn't have a decent development tool. It is hard for me to come up with an excuse for Graphisoft for not building at least a simple development tool for GDL. I am glad some folks persevere and build some code anyway.
Gary
Got to agree with you, Gary. I'm one of the persistent GDL users. It annoys me that the interface is such a bad black and white text editor. Param-o won't solve more complex/ interface issues. GDL syntax for VSCode is great but it's no practical as the internal editor (what i use most of the time).
Archicad User Since 2013
GDL Developer
Experimenting with API
from Brazil
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky wrote:
The problem with grid element is solvable. I have created label element on GDL that reads gridline name and shows it. The label element can also read and represent all parameters of Gridline head - colour, shape, size, background pen.

Almost all information of elements is available via GDL.

As about story markers - I have created separate GDL element (object), that has much more functions. If you are interested I can share it with you.
Please sharing your object. Thank you
Podolsky
Ace

This is the label, that I mentioned before. If you place it on the gridline - it will show additional gridline marker. The GDL code is really simple.

As about storey level markers - there are two versions - one on UK and another in Hebrew libraries I shared on this forum before. Here are the links:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72947

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=73001

Eduardo Rolon
Excelent.
Only wish if possible is to have different line types for the Bubble and the Pointer and to have Text always be horizontal.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Podolsky.
I did a minor fix on the Text Pen.

@ejrolon
I also included your wishes. Is it ok?

Cheers,
Eduardo Rolon
Braza wrote:
Thanks Podolsky.

@ejrolon

Cheers,
THX.
No more duplicate Grids.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Podolsky
Ace
Braza wrote:
Thanks Podolsky.

@ejrolon

Cheers,
I'm not sure this is OK. You fixed an error in the script I've done replacing one line. Was PEN AC_MarkerPen. Replaced with PEN AC_TextPen_1.
Also added SET LINE_TYPE AC_LineType. From where AC_LineType is coming from? It's not in the list of variables and it's not extracted from linked object via REQUEST.
And what else? Original file was created in GDL version 37 (ArchiCAD 21). You saved in version 41.

Where support for square, pentagon and another shapes, as soon as you state you included another wishes?
Something I do not understand here.