Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Grid Line Tool - not very BIM

gdford
Advisor
Archicad 23 - I have not checked this out in 24 or 25 ....
It would be more BIM if the Grid Line Tool let you autotext the Grid Line name.
However since autotext can not drill down to the grid line name, you can autotext the grid line Element ID. This lets you autotext the grid line id into a label and the label can add a the grid line identificaton on top of a grid line in section, elevation and plan when the actual grid line label is off the sheet. This is nice, and very handy and is more bim than using a dumb label in every location.
It would be best if there were a BIM connection between the grid line name and the element id, or if autotext would let you drill down to the grid line name. I guess we need to maximize the frustration in this because apparently the element id is not an option in the info box for the grid line tool! How did that happen?
Sooooo you have to open the selection settings for each grid line and add the grid line name to the element id in order to autotext the grid line name into a label...... seriously not very bim.
Needing to label grid lines that are off the page has always been a problem.... maybe we could get a little help on this in version 26....
FYI - there are some very nice add and enhancements in 25!!!
Keep it up.
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
3 REPLIES 3
gdford
Advisor
OK - forget everything i just said about using autotext to build a label that pulls the grid line name out of the grid line in plan, section, and elevation..... this does not work as the element ID for gridlines is not available in section and elevation ....
I am sure there is a darn good reason for this, but OMG.
So the short side is that Grid Lines really need some work....
I know that we can in section, adjust gridlines up or down and this does not affect the grid line in plan...
This is a good feature, but if you are really trying to keep a live model as much as possible then the adjustable feature falls apart...
Lets say we have a Live Building Section at 1/4" scale.
Then we create a new view of this section and zoom into 1 1/2" scale for a live enlarged section detail...
Then we create a new another new view of the same section to dimension out a live 3" detail...
This is all out of the same section and adjusting the grid lines to a custom location will only work for one of these views.
So my gripe is that i have to use a dumb label to label grid lines and what I am trying to do is have as much as possible live out of the model. If i can autotext information out a a toilet, i should be able to autotext the name of a grid line. Surly this should be well within my expectations of archicad.
My wish is for Grid Lines to be a bit more BIM.
Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Podolsky
Ace
Sorry, I forgot in which post I published this. This might help you. Label, that showing exactly the same gridline marker. Works everywhere apart of details, where gridline is turning into line.
Don't forget to switch on the background fill in gridline - then label will cover the line.
gdford
Advisor
Thanks
Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000