Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Grid Tool to generate S/E/IE/Detail/Worksheet Windows

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
We have the Grid Tool by which we can place a Grid on the Floor Plan or in Sections etc.
It would be nice to have the added intelligence (and interface) fro the Grid Tool to show the Grid in Sections/Elevations/(Interior Elevations if necessary)/Details/Worksheets that we just defined on the Floor Plan.
In the Grid Tool Dialog there would be a button which would lead to a Dialog where you can set which other model viewpoints it should appear.
Of course Ac would be intelligent enough to show only grid lines that makes sense in that Window. For example, if I create grids with horizontal axes A to F and vertical axes 1 to 10 and create a Section line that is parallel with grid axes A to F, then in the Section I will probably want to see grid axes 1 to 10. Ther could be additional settings for how long these Grid lines should extend over the model in this viewpoint etc.
Also, if the Grid changed there would be no need to modify in all Windows since the Grid is placed on the Floor Plan and generated from those same settings in all S/E/IE/Detail/WS windows.
Would be nice and very useful.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
6 REPLIES 6
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
I voted "Important"; however, it is ESSENTIAL that the Grid Tool just work the way it's currently supposed to!!!
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I was contacted by a GS guy who is I think also one of the designers of the Grid Tool.
I was actually talking about the Structural Grid command. I did not even notice the Grid System menu item right below it.
As I found out it is a Goodie and it actually is capable of what I was talking about. You need to enable the Grid panel for the Section Settings Dialog in WE. Then you can set in the Section Settings Dialog how the Grid lines generated by the Grid Tool are displayed in that Section.
So there is actually such a feature in ArchiCAD.
Sorry about it.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
laszlonagy wrote:
As I found out it is a Goodie and it actually is capable of what I was talking about.

Where have you been? This was introduced in AC10, worked unreliably, and then broken in AC11.
laszlonagy wrote:
In the Grid Tool Dialog there would be a button which would lead to a Dialog where you can set which other model viewpoints it should appear. Of course Ac would be intelligent enough to show only grid lines that makes sense in that Window. For example, if I create grids with horizontal axes A to F and vertical axes 1 to 10 and create a Section line that is parallel with grid axes A to F, then in the Section I will probably want to see grid axes 1 to 10. Ther could be additional settings for how long these Grid lines should extend over the model in this viewpoint etc.

I thought you were asking for additional functionality. Some of the above is supposed to be available now, although I frequently have Viewpoints with the Grid "On" and not shown. Controlling the length of grid lines by Viewpoint is a must, as the location of the bubble in our 1/16" scale building sections has the bubble well off the Layout in our 3/4" wall sections.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Laura wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
As I found out it is a Goodie and it actually is capable of what I was talking about.

Where have you been? This was introduced in AC10, worked unreliably, and then broken in AC11.

In our office we have not used the Grid Tool very much. I actually have not had the chance to work with Grids in AC10 or AC11 because we have been working on a big Project in the last more than 2 years. It was started and kept in AC9 all along.
I just started playing with the Structural Grid command not long ago.
laszlonagy wrote:
In the Grid Tool Dialog there would be a button which would lead to a Dialog where you can set which other model viewpoints it should appear. Of course Ac would be intelligent enough to show only grid lines that makes sense in that Window. For example, if I create grids with horizontal axes A to F and vertical axes 1 to 10 and create a Section line that is parallel with grid axes A to F, then in the Section I will probably want to see grid axes 1 to 10. Ther could be additional settings for how long these Grid lines should extend over the model in this viewpoint etc.

I thought you were asking for additional functionality. Some of the above is supposed to be available now, although I frequently have Viewpoints with the Grid "On" and not shown. Controlling the length of grid lines by Viewpoint is a must, as the location of the bubble in our 1/16" scale building sections has the bubble well off the Layout in our 3/4" wall sections.
Yes, these were also my thoughts that the Grid must have the ability to be set separately for each S/E/IE View.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am in New Zealand and cannot find this 'grid system' command on the 'design' menu or anywhere else. Maybe it is not included in our regions release?

Have I just missed it? Obviously a very useful feature which I have missed for a long time.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
The Grid Tool is a "Goody" and should be available from your Help menu (the website link for download).