Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Grids to follow Extent of Section line

fuzzytnth3
Booster
As I use "live" sections and elevations a lot I would like to have an option in Section and Elevation windows to control the "height" of the Grid lines that come from the Grid Tool.

In particular with sections that only show for example the Ground plane junction with the building.

This would avoid on a multi storey building having to crop the placed view in my layout sheets and having to add manually the Grid references.

AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
11 REPLIES 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I could be understanding your wish wrong, but isn't this what the 'to bounding box top/bottom' setting does?

Attached settings stretch the grid 500 mm above the tallest element and 1500 mm below the lowest element of the section/elevation.
section_grid.jpg
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Good grief I've missed that setting all these years! Any idea when it was introduced? I started with Archicad 3.4 and some times assume things work the way they always have but I land up missing new features.

I will delete this Documentation wish
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Eduardo Rolon
I think I set up my template with that setting in AC10 but I could be wrong.
Same thing applies for automatic grid dimensions in Elevs/Sect
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Leire Bilbao
Booster
The bounding box setting is nice, but I still need to adjust differently for interior elevations than for a full elevation/section. My distance for the normal elevations is way bigger than the interior elevations, so I still need to cut the view and add it manually
Eduardo Rolon
AFAIK the settings are tool independent so that should solve your issues.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, I totally want this feature. Like Revit, Grid has 3D and 2D grid mode. Grid 2D can be adjusted follow extend of Section, Boundary of Detail, Elevation. I already vote!
Brad Elliott
Booster
Not to hijack but I was surprised to be reminded about the Bounding Box setting and immediately went to use it. However I can't figure out how it works. I want it to set to the top of my section cut vertical range but all it does is default to 97'-4" which is then 97'-4" above the top of the section. I can select it and drag it down to my desired height but then that makes the setting useless since that is the same as the default Custom setting. Once I drag it down it will hold that elevation and read 5'-0" or even -7'-6" but if I try to change it numerically it forces back to 97'-4". How do I initially set it to a smaller distance?
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
Eduardo Rolon
Bounding Box calculates the max height of the elements in the view and adds the amount you specify. The number should be something small between 4'-20'.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Brad Elliott
Booster
That's what I would expect put it won't let me put in a smaller number than 97'-4. Anything smaller defaults back to 97'-4".
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro