Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Group and Ungroup commands should work in 3D and section

Karl Ottenstein
A simple wish: the Group and Ungroup commands (Tools menu) should work in the 3D and Section/Elevation windows. Not wishing for anything fancier - just grouping as it is now in 2D of elements on the same story (let fancier grouping be a separate wish).

I've been working in the 3D window a bit more lately because of solid element ops (and at the moment, messing around with ArchiForma) and have found it a hassle to have to switch to 2D to group elements and then go back to 3D to manipulate them as a (new) group.

I can't think of any reason why one shouldn't be able to ungroup elements wherever they might be visible.

Grouping selected elements in 3D or Section is slightly dicey since the elements must reside on the same story (implementation of grouping to date). A simple message warning that some of the selected elements are on different stories is all that is needed, otherwise, let us group!

Thanks,
Karl

PS Note: there is a bug in 8.1R1 in that the Group and Ungroup commands are enabled when a Section window is displayed, yet they do nothing. In contrast, they are disabled in the 3D window.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem with this is how to deal with objects on different stories. Perhaps they could automatically be made into different groups. I have always assumed that this was why grouping and ungrouping was not possible in these views. (I assume you've noticed that grouping doesn't work when an element visible from another story is selected.)

If this issue were overcome, I think this would be a great feature.
Karl Ottenstein
Matthew wrote:
The problem with this is how to deal with objects on different stories. Perhaps they could automatically be made into different groups. I have always assumed that this was why grouping and ungrouping was not possible in these views. (I assume you've noticed that grouping doesn't work when an element visible from another story is selected.)

If this issue were overcome, I think this would be a great feature.
Thanks, Matthew. I was keeping my wish simple and specific ... creating multiple groups would be a possible other wish, adding behavior not now possible. My assumption on different stories, as mentioned below, is simply that a warning message pop up saying that it can't be done: if you select objects on the same story, they get grouped, if not, you get warned. (Any further information - multiple grouping, color coding selections based on stories, etc. - complicates this wish and makes it less likely to be granted soon.)

I agree that what you suggest would be interesting, but not part of this particular wish/poll.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I responed a bit hastily (before I read your part about the stories). The multiple groups idea was just the first thing that popped into my head.

I agree that it would be very useful to have group/ungroup in section and 3D, and if the story issue can be resolved easily with a warning dialog all the better. I am a little concerned with how often one might be interrupted by a pesky (and presumably modal) alert box. I guess it would only apply to the group function and so probably wouldn't be too annoying.