Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Grouping Enhancement

gdford
Advisor
Nested grouping should work like it does in Sketchup. With all groups on or off in Archicad it is very difficult to drill down and modify nested objects.
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
It sounds like you are un-grouping, rather than suspending grouping to modify the nested elements.

Personally, I think the AC method is great, with nested grouping indicated by color-coded nodes to prevent ungrouping deeper objects, and with the enable/suspend grouping toggle to permit treating grouped elements as if they were ungrouped.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree completely. There are many instances when nested groups would be beneficial. For the benefit of those who cannot imagine an occasion, here is just one for example.

We are currently creating an elevation of a custom architectural grille. The grille is an assemblage of components. Ideally each fastener could be a group of fills, bolt heads, center lines etc. That group could then be arrayed around the panel as needed and then grouped again at a higher level. Then the composite panel can again be arrayed or copied as necessary.

The limited grouping feature in ArchiCAD is far from great based upon any standard of utility.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is really a bit more complex issue as far as I am concerned. I think the group functions are pretty good as they are but I see a big role for named assemblies which could include subassemblies. Done properly this would provide the functions you describe and much more. Properly integrated with modules and library parts it could be huge. But I've been going on about this for years...