Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Grouping layers

Kvalheim
Contributor
Hi everyone!

I would really like the possibility of grouping layers in the layer manager. I honestly can't fathom how this is not already a feature in Achicad, so I'm very curious to hear any arguments against such a feature. I can't think of any, but I'm sure there are some.

For me grouping of layers is mostly for organizing layers so that i.e. all documentation layers could be collapsed into a single dropdown and hidden/locked with one click. Right now I'm using a structure that's something like "Building / Roof / Outer roof / Construction" as I want all layers that relate to eachother to stay together in the manager. I also use extensions to some degree. However this feels very cumbersome.

I don't wan't to scroll past twenty irrelevant documentation etc. layers when I'm mainly working on, let's say, roof construction. So the ability to only expand the layer group that I'm working on would be so nice.

I would also like subgroups and subsubgroups etc. This is useful for quickly hiding just "Outer roof construction" as a subgroup of "Roof" or just hide the "master" group entirely.

I would also like all of this in a sidepanel that's dockable and can be used to set the current working layer that syncs to the tool settings.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on this. Seeing as this is mainly a "UI" feature I would think this could be built on top of the existing layer system without messing to much with the underlying system. The more integrated the better though – I think the current layer system could use a complete overhaul.

Regards,
Magnus
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is a long-time wish.
I just did a quick search and found two related threads:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1680
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=67598

So, I don't think any arguments go against it, I guess it is just that GS development always felt other features are more important to implement.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
This is not exactly a solution to your problem, but depending on your situation this can work.

You have layer combinations that will turn on/off the correct layers.
Then in the 'Work Environment > Dialogue Boxes & Palettes' there is an option to "Hide Locked Layers in Pop-up Palettes".
So if you lock the hidden layers in your layer combinations, they will not appear in the layer pop-up palettes.
This is fine so long as you don't ever want to use one of those hidden layers.
Otherwise you have to go back to the layer settings and unlock the layer.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
jl_lt
Ace
Kvalheim wrote:
Hi everyone!

I would really like the possibility of grouping layers in the layer manager. I honestly can't fathom how this is not already a feature in Achicad, so I'm very curious to hear any arguments against such a feature. I can't think of any, but I'm sure there are some.

For me grouping of layers is mostly for organizing layers so that i.e. all documentation layers could be collapsed into a single dropdown and hidden/locked with one click. Right now I'm using a structure that's something like "Building / Roof / Outer roof / Construction" as I want all layers that relate to eachother to stay together in the manager. I also use extensions to some degree. However this feels very cumbersome.

I don't wan't to scroll past twenty irrelevant documentation etc. layers when I'm mainly working on, let's say, roof construction. So the ability to only expand the layer group that I'm working on would be so nice.

I would also like subgroups and subsubgroups etc. This is useful for quickly hiding just "Outer roof construction" as a subgroup of "Roof" or just hide the "master" group entirely.

I would also like all of this in a sidepanel that's dockable and can be used to set the current working layer that syncs to the tool settings.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on this. Seeing as this is mainly a "UI" feature I would think this could be built on top of the existing layer system without messing to much with the underlying system. The more integrated the better though – I think the current layer system could use a complete overhaul.

Regards,
Magnus
I think this ability to group things as a way to be more organized is essential and it should be applied throughout the whole Archicad environment. Imagine having the ability to group in subfolders not only layers, but graphic overrides, materials, layer combinations, composite materials, worksheets, unused views.

Granted, the way it works now forces me to be very organized in the way i name things so everything keeps neat and tidy, having this subfolders might make me lazier, so i would add an option to do automatic naming or prefixes based on the folder names.