Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Grouping to make an instance (component).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now Grouping is only for helping to hold object together, and for easy selecting. But it would be magic if Grouping to be able to create an instance! Like Components in Sketchup or instances in 3d max. So, if i model something by morph, copies of it can be modified by edit only one of them! Not for only morph. For any objects, that can be grouped.
20 REPLIES 20
DGSketcher
Legend
Not holding my breath until it appears. As modules are a legacy elements it wouldn't surprise me if GS resources are pointed at the well documented problem of attribute management. Maybe modules will become more usable as a consequence. I do think the need for external .mod files is a little archaic for smaller limited use assemblies. They make sense for bigger projects when repeating whole rooms or even floors but for things like complex stairs or bespoke objects or assemblies in-place modules is the ideal solution.. Only GS knows their road map but I agree the ability to edit modules in-place should have been instigated many years ago.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very essential need. I don't understand why developers are still insisting not to put it on the software. This is a very basic need and other competitors all have this feature. I have written it as a wish in the year 2008. Now 13 years later still it is not implemented. So, as a user and tutor of the program in our university class, if they insist on not implementing user preferences, we can change our software choice of course...
DGSketcher
Legend
Yagmur wrote:
So, as a user and tutor of the program in our university class, if they insist on not implementing user preferences, we can change our software choice of course...
You can, and the closer the other softwares get to delivering what people need the more users will be tempted to look elsewhere.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
riyadist
Booster
Year 2021 still there is no option like this!
riyadist
Booster
The developer team is sleeping...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same issue, did you ever resolve this?

cookie clicker
This is an essential feature - being able to define a configuration of elements as a block/aggregate that can have multiple instances in the model/file. The functionality is similar to that of hotlink modules but blocks should primarily be seen as content internal to the model. Whereas hotlink modules can work on a larger scale e.g. differentiation between site and buildings, between different buildings and between different building volumes. Blocks would facilitate a fast and reliable workflow for repetition on a smaller scale within the model e.g. repetition of stories within a building volume, repetition of units within a story and repetition of bathroom/kitchen configuration over units.

It should be able to edit the block in-model and thus redefine the block and update all instances.

Changes to the definition of element types (not implemented feature) used in the block should redefine the block. (for element types see: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=330207#p330207)

It should allow for nesting of blocks within blocks.

It should come with a manager. Be able to count and select all instances of a block. Be able to see the relationship between nested blocks. Be able to insert blocks to model as an instance or as individual elements or as grouped individual elements.

Edit: Isn't this topic better placed in either User Interface Wishes or Construction Wishes?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
thesleepofreason wrote:
Edit: Isn't this topic better placed in either User Interface Wishes or Construction Wishes?

You are right, I have moved this topic to the "Construction Wishes" forum.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
kmitotk
Advocate
Add a feature to name groups and an option to select by group names in the hotlink source file settings and you'd have this feature. It should be fairly easy to implement.

We often add a subterranean story and hotlink it to do this but that's a lousy workaround I'd have to say.
Kei Mito

Architect | Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager
ArchiCAD 26 & 27 JPN USA & INT | Windows 10

DGSketcher
Legend
We already have the option to make groups with named Selection Sets, what we don't have is the basic, most fundamental, essential, necessary tool common to all computer processes... The ability to collect elements together and have the ability to change their content and know all the other copies have also upgraded. Yes we have Modules but they aren't user friendly or suited to smaller assemblies. And for those more familiar with Autobad, it's like trying to do everything with Wblocks.