Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Hide edges on fills/polylines

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently when 2D detailing, if I would like to draw a cut object, like a piece of wall, ceiling, glass, etc, I need to have a fill separate to the lines so I can show the cut edge.

It would be great if I could have the option to hide an edge on a fill (and a polyline while we're at it) so I didn't have to keep exploding fills just to delete an edge.

The image shows two fills, the lower one can be created as just one fill (it has edges) and the upper one has 3 lines and a fill. These extra elements wouldn't be necessary if it was possible to hide the edge of a fill.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi jswims

I had the same problem, so I just included break lines in all of my sections with continuous elements. After all that is the correct drafting protocol, however it would be nice if one would have the ability of placing in a hidden line without exploding the hatch.

Maybe in version 18 that is possible. I don't know, but it would be nice if someone would chyme in and let us know if that is the case in the latest version.

Cheers, Noooooorm.
Barry Kelly
No need to explode the hatch.
Just place a white line over the edge you want to hide.
Make sure the white pen is the same width as the pen you are trying to cover.
White does not print.

Or you have the option to use a line with a break line style or even a break line object if you have one.

Also in the section settings dialogue, in the 'Model Display' section you can change the boundary contours.
Any elements that pass beyond the edge of your section will take on the override you set at that edge - can be a solid line, no line at all or any line style override.

However I would still like the option to be able to 'Hide' any edge of a polygon - not just those passing beyond the edge of a section.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
This would be handy for roof and slab elements too. You could hide an edge where two roofs meet and get around the "two-dotted-lines-that-become-one-single-line" issue. You could just have a warning if you were about to turn off the last visible edge.
DGSketcher
Legend
s2art wrote:
This would be handy for roof and slab elements too. You could hide an edge where two roofs meet and get around the "two-dotted-lines-that-become-one-single-line" issue.
Now that's a good reason!
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Barry wrote:
However I would still like the option to be able to 'Hide' any edge of a polygon - not just those passing beyond the edge of a section.
Agreed. And not just hide. How great would it be to be able to manually pick any edge in plan, section, elevation, 3D etc and change it's linetype and color.

This is one of the most commonly requested features, especially from ex-hand drafters IME.

Cheers,
Link.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think this is absolutely essential. This is one piece that would take us that much closer to producing perfect documentation without workarounds.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
Essential!

GS have already made it possible to do this in the Profile Editor in ArchiCAD 18 so they obviously know how to code a polyline with every edge customisable. You can turn each edge on or off and also change the pen individually for each edge. This just needs to be brought across to the general fill tool.
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
jakubc7
Advocate
Hoping to see this implemented in V19. GDL code for POLY fills allows for this ... I imagine it's quite possible to implement into the ArchiCAD without too much trouble.

As someone already mentioned ... same functionality for slabs / roofs / mesh etc would be helpful.

ESSENTIAL
ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately, this is not going to be implemented in AC19 as far as I can tell.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27