Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Hide element via Graphic Override

Podolsky
Ace
Add possibility to hide element via Graphic Override. It will help to better manage construction phases.
17 REPLIES 17
Barry Kelly
If you want people to vote for your wish - add a poll when you create it.
I have added one for you - don't forget to vote yourself.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Podolsky,

Thank you very much for sharing the wish!

May I ask what would be the difference between this and Renovation Filter? With Renovation Filter, we can also hide elements based on their renovation status - To be demolished, Existing or New. Could you clarify a bit more about what you want to achieve with Graphic Override?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Podolsky
Ace
The point is, that in real construction renovation stages might happens in different time - for example it is possible to retain the old roof until demolishing and building new elements under it, and after demolish (replace) the roof.
Installation also can be split into several steps - for example several concrete pours for the slab, steel members deliveries and installation, wall panels etc.
Having "hide elements" in graphic overrides can help to build several models, that can visualise these construction stages.
Please take a look on attached images, I extracted from BIMx. I have created BIMx file, showing steel deliveries on site, that builders used during installation. To achieve that, I needed to select elements by specific properties and show in 3D only selected elements. If I had option "hide elements" in graphic overrides, it would be much faster to make such a models.
Maybe, as an option, to have possibilities to create custom renovation statuses: "Demolition Stage 1", "Demolition Stage 2", "Delivery 1", "Delivery 2"...
I understand that there is exist special software on the market, that helps to visualise construction stages, but ArchiCAD also can do it very good, it just need a little bit adjustments.
Hi Minh,

I think using Renovation Settings for this might be just too much of a workaround response. Renovation Statis needs a whole lot of work still, while making this work with Graphic overrides or some other means might be closer to achieving a standard action for this kind of work.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Eduardo Rolon
FWIW.
One workaround I use is to use Properties to Assign Phase then use GOs to change the object Surface to "Air" and change linetype to a specific one.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

runxel
Legend
What we actually need is that the new issue manager can hide or show things.
The issue manager is great, and it's 90% there of what we need: An easy way to show variants.
The problem is that if you choose to abuse the reno filter for that, you can't use it for its actual use case.
This renders the whole Reno Filter workaround (and thats what it is. A WORKAROUND) unusable for me and I guess for many others as well.

It just needs a tiny bit of work and the issue manager is a truly wonderful tool + A SOLUTION. Make it happen!

(And don't abuse the graphic overrides for this either!)
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
DGSketcher
Legend
May be it's just me but I didn't connect with Issue Manager and don't really see it easily solving the display issue.

The only problem with using the Renovation Filters is that to use it an element is stuck on a single filter setting. If the filter operated more like layer combos where an element is assigned to different filters then the problem could be solved for all sorts of issues including phasing and alternative layouts. For example an element could be common to a proposed layout and assigned to appear with Filters 1 AND 2 but you could have optional furniture layouts that only appear on Filter 1 OR 2. Another option would be to use it so that elements can be displayed by a classification e.g. by trade, IFC or other classification system. Allowing assignment to multiple filters would make the display options adaptable to different user needs whilst still retaining the New, Demo, Existing option.

For GOs I still see them as being as described... a means to control appearance of fills, textures and pens not to try and make things disappear.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Podolsky
Ace
I know it'a possible to make elements "disappear", by overriding material to invisible. But it cannot be right solution - because, even if it's invisible, elements still will present in the model (end exported to BIMx).

Please do not forget, that in real construction demolition can happen in several phases and some new elements can be built before demolishing something (for example to retain old roof structure to protect construction from the rain) - so, possibility to create several renovation phases would be cool feature.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or... We could have a Model Filter View Option.
This, and Date and Time Property data type plus resurrecting the good old Construction Simulation Addon could be a robust solution for this issue.