BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Hide tangential edge lines on general geometries of elements

nejcek74
Contributor
as I was discussing in thread:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=315362#p315362

beams are presented wrong in elevations and 3D. There is always additional line between straight and curved surfaces (even with proper fillet), and there is no line betwen two curved surfaces (even when they make sharp corner).
It would be nice to have this done right.
Archicad 22 on OS X 10.11.6
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi nejcek74,
Thanks for posting the whish. I would suggest to give a more general description of the whish, as it covers an issue that occurs in not only beams. I would say: "Hide tangential edge lines on general geometries", what do you think?
Ah! Don't forget to put a poll on your whish (see down on the page) and to vote on it.
DGSketcher
Legend
I think Hide Always is the correct solution. You shouldn't be seeing these lines in the real world. Complex shapes could lead to lines merging at printed output which never looks good if all lines were visible. Assuming the tangential nodes are visible in the drawing, it would be easier to add any lines that need to be shown or you could modify your Complex Profile to create the edge with drafting "error" or you could use a morph line to add the edge in 3D.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I voted "Hide Always" as it is the correct way to represent it in technical drawings. But I will add that this feature/Bug Fix would need that the arc in the profile/geometry could create a contour line if the profile/geometry were rotated in the opposite direction (Like in the example in the Original Post). Some GDL geometries can already do this. But it looks that some are more archaic than others.
Barry Kelly
I voted to make it an option.
All nodes in a complex profile should have the option to show or hide the generated edge.
That way we can control the exact number of edges (surfaces) generated by the profile.

If we want to use a curve (arc) which will automatically generate surfaces based on the size of the arc, we can, or we can specify our own series of edges to make up a curve and hide all of the generated lines.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
If we want to use a curve (arc) which will automatically generate surfaces based on the size of the arc, we can, or we can specify our own series of edges to make up a curve and hide all of the generated lines.
You are correct Barry. I didn't think of this situation.
And if we could define nodes as sharp edges or smooth surface would be great.

@nejcek74
I would like to change my vote to "Make it an option".
Could you please allow voters to change their votes in the poll option inside the post settings.
Thanks in advance.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have modified the poll settings.
You can change your vote now.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laszlo!
Lingwisyer
Guru
"Hide by default"

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it into our Wish List database (please refer to it as Wish #12852). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

(This was my wish when I did my diploma as well! What I did in the end was to use bunch of white fills in the end to cover those extra lines )

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!