BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Hotlink on/off

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I want to have an on/off button in hotlink manager for each hotlink.
Sometimes we work with different alternative for same area or other things that make an on/off button a better alternative than only use hotlinked layer. Let's say you have a new hotlink and you want it ON on all plans, then you have to change your layersettings for all layercombinations for that hotlinklayer instead of having all types of hotlinked files in same hotlinked layer and turn it on / off in hotlinked manager.

Maybe have a possibility to group hotlinks in hotlink manager too? so you could turn a hole group on / off
7 REPLIES 7
TomWaltz
Participant
It's not quite the feature you describe, but if you turn off the layer you set in the Module Settings dialog, you can turn off an entire hotlink. You would just need a layer for each module.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
It's not quite the feature you describe, but if you turn off the layer you set in the Module Settings dialog, you can turn off an entire hotlink. You would just need a layer for each module.
Excuse me for my sometimes real bad english
But I try to explain why that don't work.
Let's say I have a new hotlink that I want on sometimes on my layout and sometimes not.
Then I can't use my hotlink layer because of viewsets are depending on configuration of that Layer combination. I can't and don't have time to change my layer combinations all the time. A layercombination should never be changed, if you need that, you have something wrong in your projectsetup.
And if you work in Teamwork, than you can't change it if you don't have exclusive rights!

That's why I want an on/off button. Off = the hotlink isn't there, but the link is still there so I don't have to place it again when I need it.

This function let you have more than 1 alt. and change between them easily.
TomWaltz
Participant
TurboGlider wrote:
And if you work in Teamwork, than you can't change it if you don't have exclusive rights!
Minor correction, you don't need exclusive rights in Teamwork to edit layer combinations. You only need Team Leader status.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
TurboGlider wrote:
Minor correction, you don't need exclusive rights in Teamwork to edit layer combinations. You only need Team Leader status.
That's right, sorry, but, it won't help me though, because layercombinations should never be changed in my opinion (if we lived in a perfect world). A perfect world is like it is today with an on / off button. AutoCad (and ArchiCad too) can do it with Xrefs (unload / reload), why can't ArchiCad do it with hotlinks?

*warning! continue reading would destroy your eyes*

WE MUST BE BETTER THAN AUTOCAD
TomWaltz
Participant
TurboGlider wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
TurboGlider wrote:
That's right, sorry, but, it won't help me though, because layer combinations should never be changed in my opinion (if we lived in a perfect world). A perfect world is like it is today with an on / off button. AutoCad (and ArchiCad too) can do it with Xrefs (unload / reload), why can't ArchiCad do it with hotlinks?

*warning! continue reading would destroy your eyes*

WE MUST BE BETTER THAN AUTOCAD
You're right that layer combinations should not be something modified on the fly.

At the same time, any hotlink on/off switch would have to be assignable to some kind of style in the defined view. Otherwise, you could not control what goes on the sheets. You would have to remember to set them each time you wanted to print anything.

I'm still not clear on why you would want them on some times and off others.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I'm still not clear on why you would want them on some times and off others.
My english falls on that... *i'll try to explain*

Let's say I are in sketchmode, I've have 3 different alternatives for one customer in a big building. And we have to work with those 3 alt for a time. In the same building we work like this for alot of other customers. At the same time we have done the finaldrawings for the owner of the object and on that drawings you only see things that are finished and status : GO!, not sketch alternatives.

Hotlinked modules are great for this purpose but work with layercombinations here are a nightmare.
Anonymous
Not applicable
One aspect of this that hasn't been mentioned is that the hotlink interaction needs to be able to be controlled via the hotlink layer. I.e. I'm trying to use different layers to accomplish this idea... one layer for each alternate hotlink, but where they overlap, they still interact even though one is off... this means, I'm assuming that I need a set of layers for each hotlink... i.e. instead of just using ext-walls for all modules, I will have to create ext-walls 1 and ext-walls 2 for every layer in the module that would interact... so they can be set to 0 when not being used... ?? would be super simple if the whole hotlink were controlled either by each of the individual layers or globally by the hotlink master layer...

maybe there's already a way to do this? I'd love to know... 🐵
Learn and get certified!