Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

I want a new rendering engine for ArchiCAD!

I wish ArchiCAD had a rendering engine like VRAY, SplutterFish, Brazil, Cinema 4D, or other "state-of-the-art" rendering programs. I want true Radiosity, GI, and Caustics.

How many votes would it take to get that?
Is there anyone we can bribe?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

13 REPLIES 13
stefan
Expert
I'm all for having better rendering directly inside ArchiCAD, but I'm also a bit hesitating...

ArchiCAD needs to do construction documents in the first place and it has never been impossible to render an ArchiCAD model in an external rendering software, so I'd say:

YES we need better rendering

NO we don't need to make ArchiCAD into a full 3D-animation software. The amount of control on materials like in 3ds max or Cinema4D is not on it's place inside ArchiCAD. I'll take too much controls, settings, parameters and then the underlying architecture of ArchiCAD is not meant to support that.

So I voted "important" but not "essential" (and that is from someone who is very interested in rendering).
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
One of the excellent features of Archicad is the ability to model and document virtually seamlessly.

I believe that going out to a separate rendering program breaks that link, the cycle of modelling and documenting is interrupted.

In my view a more advanced built-in renderer is essential.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with Stefan and Maurice.

Some external rendering programs are excellent.
I don't think AC needs so complex tools.

But i like the ability to do rendering directly inside AC,
without breaking the link.
For this, i would like a better rendering engine, and FASTER.

So i voted "important".
Anonymous
Not applicable
Better rendering engine is for me essential. What ever external software You will use, you always have to spend additional time to correct model lighting, materials. More materials options (mapping possibilities etc), and animation features (car following the path etc) will be nice too.
stefan
Expert
Miki wrote:
Better rendering engine is for me essential. What ever external software You will use, you always have to spend additional time to correct model lighting, materials. More materials options (mapping possibilities etc), and animation features (car following the path etc) will be nice too.
Yes and no. When you don't have all the bells and whistles from 3ds max or Maya, people will still compare and complain about the things missing: e.g. scripting, character animation, animatable properties, timeline, depth-of-field, radiosity, caustics, network rendering, procedural materials, ...

But an improved rendering engine is something I am wishing for since a longtime, so that would definitely be welcomed.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
People, u dont need better engine, but if there in future archicad get beter engine i wish that engine has own material and light editing console becouse it is a little bit pain to do that in archicad. It is much easier when u drag and drop materials etc

I have tested archilumos recently when i visited my friend in London and if u are intrested what i see, just say and i will write down my expirience
with that addon for ac.

So See YA
LiHigh
Newcomer
lightwork rendering engine will be incorporated into Archicad 9.
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi LiHigh (that rhymes!)
lightwork rendering engine will be incorporated into Archicad 9.
Is it the LightWorks 7.3 rendering engine?
Does it support the HDRI (High Dynamic Range Radiance Imaging)? If so we can expect a great improvement in render quality
Anonymous
Not applicable
I stopped using AC Rendering Engine some years ago (v5.0). The reason was not because the engine was bad - I produced some quite good renderings with it actually - but because it was VERY DIFFICULT to navigate! In order to adjust a parameter in a material you have to open several windows and menus.
And I still can't understand why do we need to load all the textures with AC Library!?
I voted Important just for this reason - please, make it simpler to use!